15 April 2018

Thai curry with fennel and beetroot tofu


Remember that beetroot tofu I bought in Finland? Well, now dish number one has been made with it. I had two tofu steaks, so I can still cook something else with the other one. It was a really nice firm tofu with a subtle hint of beetroot, and it really added a nice splash of colour on top of that vegan Thai curry. There were some small chunks of beetroot inside of that tofu as well.

I made my pretty basic golden Thai curry with fennel and carrots. I used fresh turmeric for the first time, which was interesting. I think that I'll be buying it much more now. I didn't even manage to colour my whole kitchen yellow with it.

I'm looking forward to more colourful bowls of food towards the spring and summer. Yesterday I saw the first local asparagus appearing on the market. I can't wait to cook with it. 


Thai curry with fennel and beetroot tofu

Ingredients for the curry paste

1 red chilli
1 cloveless garlic
2 cm fresh turmeric
2 cm fresh ginger
1 tomato
1 lemongrass stalk
1 lime's juice
2 tbsp white miso
2 tsp palm sugar
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 vegetable stock cube

Other ingredients

125 g beetroot tofu
1 onion
1 fennel bulb
2 carrots
Vegetable oil for frying
400 ml/1 can coconut milk
1 cup Jasmine rice

Method

Make the curry paste first by puréeing all paste ingredients into a smooth paste.

Chop the fennel, carrots and onion.

Cook the onion in vegetable oil until softened, then add the fennel and carrots to the pan.

After a while of cooking, also add the curry paste.

Cook for a couple of minutes, and then add the coconut milk.

Let simmer until the flavours have blended nicely.

Cook the jasmine rice.

Cut the tofu into generous chunks and fry them in vegetable oil.

Serve the curry with the tofu chunks on top and with the rice. Enjoy!


Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. The beetroot tofu really intrigues me, I wish I could try it. As for the Thai curry, Yum. I am very impressed you did not get tainted with the turmeric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that beetroot tofu would come to your local shops as well (and mine, so that I don't have to import it from Finland).

      Delete
  2. You seem a whizz at making your own thai curry pastes (not my speciality) and it looks great with the beetroot tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the meanwhile I'm quite happy with my Thai curry paste. It's not so hot, as I can't take too much heat, but a nice mix of these spices.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.