18 November 2017

Onion soup with potatoes and carrots


It's the soup season now, and I've been indulging in different vegan soups. We had a lovely carrot-ginger-orange soup at work that I definitely have to replicate at home. It was a very good and punchy flavour combination. If I make it, I'll share it here as well. What's your favourite soup of the season? And do you prefer smooth or chunks? I must say that I can't name any favourites, as there are so many good soups, and sometimes I feel like smooth and sometimes like chunky.

Now I made a bit different chunky soup. I love onion soup, but I thought to give it a little twist by adding some potatoes and heirloom carrots to it. I used red wine in this soup, but in my experience also dark beer and cider are an excellent choice for such soups. I guess you can get creative with whatever you happen to have around. See the recipe below, if you want to know how I made it.

I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend!

Onion soup with potatoes and carrots

Ingredients

4 onions
3 garlic cloves
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 tbsp spelt flour
½ cup red wine
1 l vegetable stock
5 small potatoes
2 heritage carrots
½ cup fresh parsley
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper

Method

Chop the onions into half rings and start sautéeing them in the oil. Cover them with a lid and let them sautée until they start turning brown.

Then add the finely chopped garlic and the flour and mix.

Peel the potatoes and carrots and cut them into smallish pieces. Add them to the saucepan.

Pour the red wine in and let it reduce. Then pour the vegetable stock in and let simmer.

Season the soup, and let it simmer until the vegetables are cooked and the liquid has thickened.

Enjoy!



Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. Mm, very hearty! I'm not very good at making chunky soup, so generally blitz mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hearty it was indeed. A smooth soup is a very fine thing to have.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.