19 November 2017

Laverbread scones


We had Welsh breakfast this morning. I got the inspiration and the main ingredient from my blogging friend Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen. She sent me some laverbread as a going away present from Britain, and I finally got around making something with it. Laverbread is a traditional ingredient in the Welsh kitchen, and it's basically a seaweed paste. 

I followed Shaheen's recipe for these savoury Welsh Rarebit Laverbread Scones, but changed it just a little bit by using spelt flour, oat milk and ground mustard seeds. I also made a bit smaller scones. I was happy to find Welsh Cheddar in my local supermarket, which was perfect for these. These scones turned out so nice, and almost fully disappeared already, but I saved a few to take to work tomorrow. Another good thing about these is that they can be made very fast and very easily. What a great Sunday breakfast this was! Thank you so much Shaheen!

This one below is my version, but do check out Shaheen's original here as well.


Laverbread scones

Makes about 14 small scones

Ingredients

250 g spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
50 g butter
1 tbsp laverbread
1 egg
100 ml oat milk
1 tsp ground mustard seeds
100 g Cheddar

Method

Mix the flour and baking powder and pinch the butter in. Then add half of the grated cheese intot he bowl.

Mix the laverbread, egg, milk and ground mustard seeds in a separate bowl, and combine it with the flour mix.

Roll the dough out and cut scones from it.

Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the scones, and also some more laverbread.

Bake at 200 C for about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!



I'm sharing this post with Eat Your Greens that I'm hosting this month, and the challenge is co-hosted by Shaheen. It's this year's last edition, and there is still plenty of time to take part!


Your VegHog

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to research Laverbread. I know very little about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very interesting ingredient. I still have some left in my freezer, so looking forward to cooking something else with it.

      Delete
  2. I was lucky enough to receive some from shaheen too - it is so weird to look at but delicious in recipes - these scones look fantastic. I'd love one or two to take to work tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they were really good. Can't go wrong with a savoury scone.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love your adaptation and the colour on them warming from the golden melty cheese and the flecks of green. I too would love to have taken some into work. I am humbled to be your blogging friend. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaheen, and thank you for the recipe and laverbread, too! We really enjoyed these, the next day there were also very tasty, although of course they are nice when fresh and warm as well.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.