18 August 2014

Redcurrant and chilli jam


My holidays are over and I have returned home. Of course it's a shame not to see fascinating places all the time, but it's kind of good to be here again to my usual routine. I can't wait for the autumn to begin either, as it's somehow such a cosy season. I'm sure there will be a few holiday posts still, but at least I'm now able to cook in my own kitchen again.

I love redcurrants for their sharp taste, and now I got some fresh ones after a long while (haven't really had them in large quantities for years). A cake, a pie or anything sweet would've been the natural choice to make from them, but this time I went with something different.


I found this redcurrant and chilli jam recipe in a Finnish magazine and I pretty much followed it. The only thing was that I added vegetarian gelatine to it, as my jam didn't set without it. I guess Finnish redcurrants have that much more pectin, so that the jam sets without gelatine or extra added pectin. 

Ingredients

10 small dried red chillies (in the original recipe: 5 red chillies)
2 shallots
2 garlic cloves
200 g redcurrants (original recipe used frozen ones)
2 dl white wine vinegar
1 dl water
2 tbsp ground ginger
4 dl sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetarian gelatine

Method

Chop the chillies, shallots and garlic finely. I left the seeds in the chillies as I used my own harvested and dried chillies, but if you don't want a very spice jam, remove the seeds then. My chillies are really very small, so the quantity might sound like a lot.

Put all ingredients into a saucepan and boil it through for a few minutes. Then let the mix simmer at lower heat for about 30 minutes. The original recipe says that the mix is fairly liquid at that point, however I would recommend adding a little vegetarian gelatine, if you want a firm jam.

Let the mix cool a little and then put it into jars and store in a cool place. Serve this jam with hearty cheese sticks, vegetarian burgers, roasted potatoes, whatever you would like!





Your VegHog

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, autumn is my favorite season.<3
    And I've tried this type of jam before; but yours look much more delicious!
    Your blog never fails to make my mouth water. :9

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Adi. This really turned out to be quite good and it might be seen later in the blog as well. Now I have loads.

      I can't wait to start with proper hearty autumn cooking and just stay in warm indoors. :)

      Delete
  2. I wish I had seen this recipe a month or so back when I had a punnet of fresh seasonal red currants, maybe next year now. Looks so good, I love hot stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do give it a try next year. The recipe was really good, I just bumped into it while searching for spicy things to make with redcurrants.

      Delete
  3. what is a "dl" of something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! It is a desiliter, so 0,1 of a liter, 100 ml, 3,5 fluid ounces or 0,4 cups.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.