2 May 2020

In My Kitchen in May

April and Easter just flew by and now it’s already May. I’ve been spending a lot of time in my kitchen, also trying to get used to my new kitchen. I now know a little bit how to use the temperatures on an induction hob and how to use a dishwasher. I’ve been cooking a lot and the cupboards are full of nice food. Since I’m working from home, I will need to cook slightly more or at least try to make something for breakfast and lunch as well. Here are some new things from my kitchen.

I sorted my cookbooks out and put them on a small shelf next to the fridge. I can conveniently get inspiration from them.


I also have my spice cupboard sorted and I love having a proper easily accessible spice cupboard. Of course not all my spices fit there, different bags etc., but the most used ones can easily be gotten from there.


We got fresh take away pasta from a wonderful restaurant in our local market hall, Il Mattarello. We got pappardelle and vegan spaghettone, and both of them were such perfect quality products to cook with. With the spaghettone I made a nice tomato sauce and served tomato mozzarella on the side, and I served the pappardelle with a mushroom-green bean-tomato sauce. Of course we also got a bunch of fresh vegetables and sweet pastries from the market, as usual. 
 





From the same market hall, from a place called The Fresh Market, we got this tomato soup. It was so tasty and just perfect for busy lunches when working from home. I felt good supporting these local small businesses, who are still able to keep their shops open in these difficult times and hopefully beyond.


Sadly our Easter trip to my brother’s family in Germany was cancelled due to the circumstances. I was planning to bring these beeswax food wrappers to my sister in law, but now I’m stuck with them. Hopefully she can get some later.


We had lovely Easter beer, a collaboration between the Irma supermarket chain and Mikkeller brewers. This photo was taken at our old place and seeing it makes me miss the place. Of course we are very happy at our new place too, but that was a special place, our first home in Denmark in a lovely part of town.


Here are some other dishes I’ve been cooking lately, like these heirloom tomato and Cheddar sandwiches.


I made this radish top, Cheddar and hazelnut pasta at Easter. It was really tasty and I like utilising everything from radishes, including the tops.


Remember my vegan fish & chips I posted the other day? From the leftover cider batter and peas I made some random pea fritters.



This is a basic fondant potato and vegan Schnitzel dish.


This was it from my kitchen, and as always, I’m sharing this post with Sherry from Sherry’s Pickings blog, who is hosting the monthly In My Kitchen event. Go to her blog and have a look!




Have a wonderful weekend!

Your VegHog

22 comments:

  1. Ooh, look at that tidy spice cupboard! Thank goodness we have doors :-)
    Some lovely looking meals and snacks there.
    Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it stays tidy too! Stay safe, Belinda!

      Delete
  2. Your plates of food look delightful and tempting. Sad about your trip being cancelled -- we have missed two trips already.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not nice to get trips cancelled that were in the planning for a long time. Luckily the train company reimbursed our tickets, even though we had non-cancellation tickets.

      Delete
  3. Tomato soup is my favorite. Your new kitchen looks like it is coming together nicely, it's so organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomato soup is the best, can't think of an occasion when it doesn't fit!

      Delete
  4. You are definitely organized! Lovely plates of food happening. Your pea fritters remind me of a recent post I did on some cassava (tapioca root) frotters/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your fritters sound very interesting. Mine were just to avoid food waste.

      Delete
  5. Those tomato and cheddar sandwiches are calling my name. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! Tomato and Cheddar is indeed a great combination. :)

      Delete
  6. hi veg hog
    thanks so much for joining in this month. and thanks for the mention, and the use of my badge. much appreciated. Looks like your kitchen is very tidy. i too have been sorting and cleaning out and getting rid of old stuff in my pantry. very refreshing! like many of us, you have been doing lots of cooking. it is so comforting in these troubled times, isn't it? keep well.
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new badge is nice and always happy to mention of course. :) I guess these are good times to get those home chores done that we otherwise left...

      Delete
  7. That fresh pasta looks amazing! Something about fresh pasta makes it look so much more appetising than dried pasta. Glad to see you're keeping busy and doing lots of cooking. Keep safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes fresh pasta doesn't just look great, it also tastes great. I need to make my own soon again, now I have more space in the kitchen. Thanks for stopping by and stay safe!

      Delete
  8. Hope you get to take your trip to Germany soon! Love your spice cupboard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see, I don't feel much like travelling at the moment, but at least it would be nice to see the family. Take care!

      Delete
  9. I'm hoping to post IMK post tomorrow, but this evening i am having a nosy around yours. Teh pea fritters are fab and my heart yearns for those Eat Your Green challenges, this would have been perfect contribution by the co-host. So pleased to see that you have some beeswax wraps too. YOur cookbook shelf in the kitchen made me smile and bought back memories. That is how i started when i lived in Glasgow and that book collection grew everytime i moved into a slightly bigger place - be warned - you will need more shelves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Eat Your Greens too, and often think about it, especially when cooking with greens. :)
      I haven't bought many cookbooks lately, weirly. I think I need new ones, even though there are so many recipes bookmarked in these as well.

      Delete
  10. So much good food and your spices are so neat. Mine have got messier and messier and need a good overhaul. (Not quite as bad as my mum who told me she was throwing out any spices older than 20 years.) It is nice you can visit your market hall still - I miss the farmers market. And I love your pasta dish with the radishes - what are the pasta shapes - they look really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also still have some spices that I moved here from Britain, so they are minimum 3 years old... but luckily not over 20 years yet! We really are lucky that the market has been open throughout and further relaxations will start from Monday.
      The pasta shapes are different animals, lions, rhinos etc.

      Delete
  11. I need to take a lesson from you and that well organized spice rack! Love the food your presenting here (and the dishes your serving them on). Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Debra! It's easy to keep the spices organised on that rack, I'm glad to have it now. Take care!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.