28 April 2020

Potato, cheese and onion pasties



I might have a slight British cooking theme going on lately, perhaps some nostalgia. Or is lockdown reminding me of all the good dishes? There are quite many nice dishes in that country, regardless their reputation. Maybe it’s mainly comfort food, like these veggie pasties I made, but that’s how I like it.

I made these pasties with a crispy crust from homemade pastry and soft potato-cheese-onion filling, which I think is one of the best fillings for a pasty. They were very satisfying and looked rustic to the max. Here is my recipe that makes about 4 middle sized pasties.

Potato, cheese and onion pasties

Ingredients

Pastry

2 cups wheat flour
½ tsp salt
4-5 tbsp oil
5-6 tbsp water

Filling

300 g potatoes
3 onions
2 garlic cloves
150 g grated Cheddar
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
Smoked paprika to taste

Method

For making the pastry, mix the flour, salt and oil until it has a crumbly texture. Then add water little by little and shape into a firm dough. Don't knead the dough too much. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes.

Peel and cook the potatoes in water. Break them up a bit after the cooking, but don’t mash them fully. I at least like to have some texture in the filling.

Peel and slice the onion and slow-cook it until browned. Then add finely chopped garlic.

Add the potatoes to the mix, season and stir in the grated cheese. Let the mix cool down.

Roll the dough out thinly divided into four round parts.

Fill in the pastry with the filling and close the pasties. Brush the closing seals with water, also brush the whole pasties with water.

Bake them in the oven at about 180 C for 30 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden brown.

Enjoy!

Your VegHog






2 comments:

  1. Love these - they look like the sort of comfort food the brits love - perfect for lock down - I usually boil my potato and onion together and then mashed them together so there isn't much texture but I like your texture. Do you eat them with sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many great variations. I haven't made my own pastry for a while, so decided to give it a go. I just ate as they were with a little side salad, but I guess a sauce would also be nice.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.