24 February 2018

Ramen


I love vegan ramen noodle bowls with a hearty miso broth. I'm lucky to have a wonderful ramen joint closeby (that's their beer on the photos, perfect match to ramen!), but it's also nice to make an own attempt once in a while. Especially now that it's chilly and very much a soup and broth season. There is some more cold air from Siberia coming our way!

I added quite a few veggies to this bowl and also Danish seaweed, which I was delighted to find in my local health food shop. I used tofu as the protein as usual in such dishes. The broth is the most important part of ramen, so I just slowly cooked it to taste. That's why these ingredient amounts shouldn't be taken too literally. I didn't add amounts for the vegetables either. It depends how much you want to make and how dense you want the ramen to be on vegetables. Here is my recipe anyway.



The VegHog's Ramen Bowl

Ingredients

Broth

3 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp white miso
3-5 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin
Seaweed
2 garlic cloves
Water

Other ingredients

Wholewheat noodles
Tofu
Pak choi
Shiitake mushrooms
Carrot
Turnip
Chilli
Seaweed

Method

Cook the noodles, cool them down and set to side.

Chop the tofu into cubes, fry them in oil and set to side.

Also prep the other vegetables by cutting and slicing them into desired shapes.

Start making the broth by first cooking the minced garlic in oil and then adding the other ingredients. Add water carefully and gradually by tasting the broth. Let it simmer until the flavours have blended nicely.

I added all other vegetables as raw, I just fried the shiitake mushroom slices briefly in a hot pan.

To serve, add the noodles, tofu and vegetables to the warm broth, and enjoy!



I'm sharing this recipe with this month's Eat Your Greens, which I'm hosting in February, and the challenge is co-hosted by Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen. You still have a few days left to take part!


Have a nice weekend!

Your VegHog

6 comments:

  1. I must confess I have never had ramen, I often think the sauces look weak - but must admit, you are changing my mind. I may have to give your recipe a go as it truly does look very delicious. What a fab contribution to #EatYourGreens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sauce needs to be very flavourful, then it's a great dish.

      Delete
    2. I love ramen (sadly, no local joint here), but have never made my own!! Why, I wonder... Hmm! I'll have to remedy that.

      Delete
    3. You should definitely make your own then, it's so good!

      Delete
  2. your bowls look really pretty and delicious. I sometimes make miso soup with lots of vegetables which I think is similar but not as pretty :-) I want to try those carrot curls - do you have a special instrument for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sort of soups are nice, aren't they. I just cut the carrots thin with a peeling knife and twisted with my fingers.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.