24 March 2018

Speltotto with broad beans, spinach and purple sweet potatoes


The weekend is here, and not one second too early. I'm so ready just to chill and cook nice veggie food this weekend. Easter is also around the corner, and I will be going to Finland then. It's still full winter at my mum's place, so it will be quite nice.

Long time no speltotto, I thought, and started planning this dish. I wanted to make it quite colourful with a lot of veggies. I roasted some lovely and super sweet purple sweet potatoes that I got from the local market, and wilted fresh spinach for the top. I also used fresh broad beans, fresh onions and carrots in the speltotto itself. It was a tasty and comforting dish.

Here is my speltotto recipe.


Speltotto with broad beans, spinach and purple sweet potatoes

Ingredients

2 purple sweet potatoes (other colours also allowed)
Vegetable oil for roasting
200 g broad beans
200 g fresh spinach leaves
2 carrots
2 fresh onions with stalks
2 garlic cloves
Olive oil for frying
20 g margarine
1 cup pearled spelt
1 l vegetable stock
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper

Method

Prep the broad beans first, as the removing of the pods and skins can certainly take a while.

Heat the vegetable stock and also chop the carrots into small pieces.

Chop the onions and garlic finely. Set the green onion stalk to the side, and add them to the speltotto towards the end and also some fresh bits as a decoration on the top.

Start cooking the onion in olive oil until soft, and then add the garlic, soon followed by the carrot pieces.

Melt the margarine in the pan, add the pearled spelt. Then start making some vegetable stock additions, and let the dish simmer. Add also the broad beans to the pan at this stage.

Let the speltotto simmer, until everything has cooked nicely, and the flavours have blended. Season with salt and pepper.

Cut the sweet potatoes into generous cubes, brush them with oil, and roast in the oven until tender.

Also wilt the spinach in a separate pan with a little garlic, salt and pepper. Serve the spinach and sweet potatoes on the top of the speltotto.

Enjoy!



It's good to see more Eat Your Greens entries coming in for March, and there is still a bit more time! I will share this dish with Eat Your Greens as well, which I'm hosting this month, and the event is co-hosted by Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen blog.


Have a great weekend!

Your VegHog

6 comments:

  1. I actually thought those pieces were mock 'meat', but then was surprised to read its actually purple sweet potato, lucky that you got hold of some and i love the silky green spinach. Lovely contribution for #eatyourgreens and also this meal would be great hot or cold. Have a lovely time in Finland when you go, but most of all - chill out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweet potato bits do look a bit weird here. We have a new trader in the market, who imports organic produce from Uganda with low carbon footprint, and I'm confident that he will often have these on stock. So there will be many purple dishes here!

      Delete
  2. I hope you're enjoying the long awaited weekend! I am also impressed with the purple sweet potato, and this dish more generally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari! The weekend is going well, and I want to cook something nice tonight. :)

      Delete
  3. sounds interesting - I have never tried spelloto but would make it just for the name - and lovely your purple potatoes - hope you enjoyed your weekend and have a great easter in finnland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speltotto is great, it's superior to risotto and barleyotto in my opinion.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.