7 April 2013

Carrot and spelt rolls



For these rolls I used a recipe from the Myllyn Paras Oy's page (Here it is but only in Finnish). However I made slight adjustments by using spelt flour and only making the half of the dough as the original recipe was for about 20-25 rolls, which I thought would've been too much. Now after baking I know that I easily could've eaten them all within no time. Well maybe next time...

Carrot rolls are quite common in Finland but I don't think I've seen them elsewhere. They might sound weird first if you haven't heard of them before but believe me they are very tasty and also easy to make.

Here's how I made them (about 10 rolls):

2,5dl Milk
2dl Grated carrots
25g Yeast
1tsp Salt
4dl Spelt flour
3dl Wheat flour
50g Butter
Oat flakes

First finely grate the carrots and mix them to the milk and heat them lukewarm. Add the yeast and salt and mix. Then add the flour and knead properly. When dough starts to seem fine add the melted butter and knead some more. Let the dough rise for about one hour under a tea towel.


When dough has risen and doubled its size shape rolls of it and place them on a baking tray. Sprinkle oat flakes on the top. Cover them with a tea towel for a moment more to rise again. Then bake at 225C for 10-15 minutes.


Nicky James pony plate and tea towel.

Enjoy baking and eating!

Your VegHog


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.