4 July 2020

In My Kitchen in July

It’s July and I just started my summer holiday, yay! I will only have one week’s summer holiday this year and I will be staying in Denmark. Nevertheless I expect it to be quite relaxing. The weather isn’t fully playing along, as it’s very windy and rain showers keep coming, but that won’t get my spirits down, we will just adjust our plans accordingly. Now I want to show you some things from my kitchen, I can’t believe that another month has passed again.

The highlight in my kitchen was probably the Rotten Fruit Box that I got from my brother’s family. It’s a huge box with several bags of different freeze-dried fruit and berries that are a great addition to breakfast bowls and baking, just to name a few uses. The idea behind this is to reduce food waste and to collect the fruit that has dropped to the ground, would be discarded and eventually it would start to rot. It’s a neat idea and the products are of a really good quality.





Another great present that I got was actually my company’s summer present (yes they do give us Christmas and summer presents, mostly kitchen gear): a cold brew coffee maker. I was sceptical at first, if I would ever use such a gadget, but then we tried a batch and the coffee was excellent. We’ve been cold brewing ever since. Now especially in the summer ice coffee is so refreshing. I walk to the station in the mornings and have my coffee cup with ice coffee with me. It’s so refreshing to drink the coffee on the train straight after the walk. It takes a long time to brew though, 12-24 hours, so it’s not that handy for a spontaneous coffee, if you’ve just ran out.




Then I’ve of course been cooking a lot and here are a few dishes. When I saw these cheese steaks in the shop, I had to buy them. They are just the perfect summer addition to vegetable dishes. I made a pita with hummus and a veggie burger with them and more dishes will be coming.





Here’s another veggie burger with “dirty” mac’n’cheese with roasted red pepper on the side.


Risotto is another great dish to cook in the summer. Now I have plenty of arborio rice, as I bought this large pack from an Italian store. This risotto is a mushroom and asparagus one.



I’m sharing this post again with Sherry from Sherry’s Pickings blog, who is hosting the In My Kitchen event.


Have a nice weekend everyone!

Your VegHog


14 comments:

  1. Your activities -- like having a week off of work, or walking to the station while drinking coffee -- make it sound as if you are on a different planet, where normal life continues. Unlike here! Your food looks delicious, and I find it more interesting as we have vastly reduced our meat consumption recently.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here we have returned pretty much back to normal, as normal as it can ever be, but let's see how that goes. I hope that things get better in your area soon too. Take care!

      Delete
  2. hi veg hog
    thanks for being part of IMK. nice to have you. enjoy your time off. your iced coffee looks tasty. take care
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry, my pleasure as always. Take care!

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of the Rotten Fruit Box and will look out for their products when we are in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a very neat idea and great products.

      Delete
  4. That Rotten Fruit Box is a wonderful idea, I do love freeze dried raspberries and put them in my overnight oats. I'll have to look for those cheese steaks, they are new to me. Great products this month. And lucky you getting the coffee maker as a present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, it's a great box, the products will last me a while. The cheese steaks are also so tasty.

      Delete
  5. I love iced coffee and cold brew, what an addiction. We have the President brand here but it's usually cheese such as Camenbert. I haven't seen the cheese steak sort. Want it now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cheese steaks also disappeared here now, so annoying.

      Delete
  6. Do the freeze dried fruits taste better or similar to dehydrated? I usually make jam, wine or dehydrate excess fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a really intense fruit taste, maybe better than dehydrated I would say.

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your holidays! I can't believe you get summer presents as well as Christmas ones - what a nice way to start your holidays. Are those cheesesteaks just flavoured cheese - they look very interesting. And the rotten fruit is full of great humour and great compassion too - they look delicious - I wish it was easier to find freeze dried fruit here but I have only seen it in expensive health food shops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna! The cheese steaks had some marinade with them, but the steaks themselves were plain. Now I'm happy to have such a large supply of freeze-dried fruit, it should last me a while.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.