26 November 2015

Falafel with char-grilled vegetables and halloumi


I bought a new grill pan, a second one, which is a bit smaller than my first one. It's a neat little pan and it obviously inspired me to char-grill some vegetables. Then I was considering what to have with them and thought of homemade falafel, which are always nice. That's how this dish came to life, simple but oh so tasty!

As the making method for the falafel I chose baking in the oven in order to avoid an additional oil addition. They should be put into the oven only briefly under high heat so that they get some colour, but not too long that they dry out. All components are already cooked before, so they don't need any extra cooking. Have a look at my recipe below, which should make about 10 falafel.



Ingredients

1 cup dried chickpeas
1 can broad beans
3-4 garlic cloves
1 small onion
1 tsp vegetable oil
15 g fresh parsley
15 g fresh coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp salt

Sides:

Hummus
Tomatoes
Carrots
Baby bell peppers
Munchkin pumpkin
Halloumi

Method

Soak the chickpeas overnight and then cook until done.

Chop the garlic and onion and pre-cook them a little in oil in a pan.

Mix the chickpeas, broad beans, garlic onion and the spices and mash them into a mixture that sticks well together. I like to leave some of the chickpeas whole in this process.

Shape falafel from the mixture and place them on a baking tray.

Bake them in the oven at 250 C for a few minutes until the falafel have received some colour. Don't bake them too long, as they can then dry up.

I served my falafel with some homemade hummus and char-grilled vegetables and halloumi. I wanted to try my new grill pan, and indeed it was very nice to use.



I'm entering this recipe to this month's Eat Your Greens, a vegetarian cooking and blogging challenge hosted by Shaheen from A2K - A Seasonal Veg Table. The greens here are the broad beans and the lovely fresh herbs parsley and coriander.


Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. I adore falafel and the addition of broad beans is quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was my idea with the broad beans, but it actually comes up in quite many falafel recipes, but it's indeed a nice addition.

      Delete
  2. Thank you VegHog for your lovely entry. I love falafels but don't make them often, sadly the man isn't that keen on them - calls them 'feel awfuls' because of the affect it has on him. I like them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why that is, but I also make them quite rarely... strange, as I also like them very much...

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.