5 July 2015

Sea vegetable paella


I'm continuing with the sea theme on the blog after yesterday's Jurassic Coast post. When I detected a mix of different sea vegetables in the shop, it was clear to me that I had to buy them. The mix contained samphire, sea aster and okahijiki. First I was contemplating a Japanese style tofu dish, but went with a paella idea instead. This sea vegetable paella was absolutely tasty and great summer food as well. Have a look at how I made it.

Ingredients

300 g baby bell peppers
2 onions
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
150 g paella rice
150 ml sherry
1 tsp saffron threads
450 ml vegetable stock
15 mini plum tomatoes
20 black olives
2 tsp salt
80 g mix of samphire, sea aster and okahijiki


Method

Chop the peppers, onions and garlic and start cooking them in olive oil.

Add the spices and the paella rice. Then also add the sherry and let it absorb a little.

Add the vegetable stock and mini plum tomatoes into the pan and let simmer under the lid until the rice is cooked.

Towards the end add the olives, salt and the sea vegetables.

Serve instantly and enjoy!





Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. Lovely and wow, I have never seen mix of sea vegetables in the shop, how awesome. I can imagine how good this tastes, as i enjoyed the Sea Vegetable Quiche I made recently http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/laverbread-samphire-and-seaweed-flakes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite nice indeed, and i guess that I can reveal here that I found the sea vegetable mix at Waitrose. Have never before seen it there either.

      I saw your quiche as well, that looked really lovely. I can see how samphire works really well in that combination.

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing! I really love how the rice turned out.

    Vegetarian Courtesy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adi! Yes, the texture on the rice was nice.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.