27 May 2018

Wild garlic tart


Wild garlic is just a beautiful, beautiful thing, isn't it? However I wasn't able to forage any wild garlic yet this year, as I've only seen it grow in the Botanical Gardens, and of course I couldn't take it from there. But luckily for me, the local market also sold some, and to very reasonable prices at that, so I got a good supply of it to make a few dishes.

I think that the stalks look great, so it's always a shame to hide them somewhere in the dish. I wanted to make a potato tart, where the wild garlic is added fresh on the top after the baking, and gets the centre stage. It was a very nice tart with some added cheese, and I hope to be able to make another one, while there is still some wild garlic around. Here is my recipe for it.



Wild garlic tart

Ingredients

Bunch of wild garlic
200 g potatoes
100 g grated cheese
1 fresh onion with stalks
2 garlic cloves
Vegetable oil for frying
Fresh thyme
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
25 g butter
Shortcrust pastry

Method

Cook the potatoes and mash them. Them season them and mix with the cheese.

Chop the onion and garlic finely, and fry them lightly in the vegetable oil, and also mix them in with the potatoes.

Heat butter in a pan with thyme, salt and pepper, and cook it until it turns brown. This mixture will be poured on the tart later.

Spread the pastry, and spread the potato mix on it.

Bake the tart at 200 C for about 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Place the wild garlic stalks on top of the tart and drizzle the brown butter on the top. Enjoy!




I'm sharing this recipe with the Eat Your Greens challenge, which I'm hosting this month, and co-hosting with Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen blog. You still have a little while to take part, so submit your recipe!


Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. Wild garlic is one of my fave spring time foraging ingredients. I have always found a spot where ever i live, so have never had to purchase it. I haven't got round to foraging it this year though. Love the simplicity of the tart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild garlic is just lovely. Maybe next year I'll also find a good spot to forage some.

      Delete
  2. That is a really lovely way to showcase your greens - I would love a slice of your tart. I regret that I have been eating greens on the side but not in anyway impressive enough to share for Eat Your Greens but will look forward to the round up. It is just that time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, it does add a nice splash of colour. Maybe you'll have some green recipes for next month.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.