5 May 2018

In My Kitchen in May

It's the beautiful month of May, and I have some new items and foods in my kitchen that I want to share with you, so let's have a look.

I went on a quick business trip to Zürich in Switzerland. It's a beautiful city, but of course I didn't have time to explore it too much due to work. It was my first visit to Switzerland as well. I had the most wonderful dinner of asparagus ravioli with brown sage butter, and all the other veggie dishes there were also very nice and tasty. The only shopping I made was at the airport, where I purchased these legendary Ricola herbal drops in a tin and some Swiss chocolate. I really hope that I could go there on holiday one day, as it really is a very beautiful country. At least I saw some mountains from the plane.



I bought two savory plants to put on the window sill, and they are both tasty and pretty. They taste a lot like thyme and the flowers make perfect little decorations on food. I also bought some organic butterfly meadow flower seeds to spread somewhere. 




Fresh flowers always cheer me up, and as all the flowers in the market have been so tempting again, I've occasionally bought a bouquet. This time it was white Ranunkel, a sort of buttercup, that got my attention. I think that they look really nice and they also come in all possible colours.


As it's getting warmer, refreshing beers are always nice. I got this low alcohol (0,3%) beer by Mikkeller, Henry and his science. It's a microbiologically flavoured ale with a cute label.


On a recent trip to Sweden, I bought these burger sleeves and swan napkins. Swans are everywhere in Copenhagen, so they might as well be on napkins too. I'm sure that the burger sleeves will appear in some food presentations soon. They can also come in handy in the approaching picnic season.


I bought these spices from the Flying Tiger of Copenhagen. I had to buy some of the collection, as the little texts really made me smile, especially the Space Oddity reference. I think I'll have to get some more of these, and I think that they would also make neat small presents. I really like the packaging. It's simple, but easily resealable and can be stored flatly in small space.



I've finally welcomed yeast flakes in my life. I actually can't believe that I've never tried them before, but now they are going into many dishes in my kitchen. They are so nice and convenient for adding some extra savoury into dishes. What are your best yeast flake tips for such a beginner?


Of course I've been getting loads of nice inspiring seasonal vegetables from the market. Here are some on display. I love the variety of courgettes at the moment and am also very happy about the arrival of asparagus.



Maybe I can use these balsamico pearls in some nice seasonal salads soon.


Here is a dish that I made recently: pasta with fresh vegetables and soya nuggets. This sort of plates are so easy and quick for weekdays, and I often end up having this sort of collections on the plate.


This was it for now, and of course I'm sharing this post with Sherry from Sherry's Pickings blog, who is hosting the In My Kitchen event. Go and visit her nice blog and find links to other bloggers' kitchens. It's always good fun!


Have a lovely weekend everyone!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. Your little spice packets are indeed amusing! I hope the contents are very fresh. It looks as if you could very conveniently store them in a big jar, saving lots of shelf space over spices in little containers.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow lots in your kitchen - I love the spice packets - they would make me want to use the spice just to cheer me up - those savoury flowers are lovely too and the roses. I have never heard of burger sleeves but look forward to seeing them. Balsamic pearls sound interesting. And nutritional yeast flakes is great. My fave uses for them has to be omelettes (vegan) http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2016/11/tofu-besan-omelette-vegan.html - and vegan mozzarella (sauce) https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2015/11/vegan-mozzarella-and-spiderweb-pizza.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such gorgeous produce. Those radishes are things of beauty for sure. I adore those hilarious spice packets. So clever. What do you do with the burger sleeves? Thanks for joining in this month. Have a great May. Cheers sherry x p.s. what is your name veg hog?:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah the flying Tiger - eye candy - I do like it, but try to resist and hope to come out empty handed, but never do. I wonder what you will do with the cardomon. I've seen balsamic pearls around, not got them but picked up a different brand sweet flaovurs and more recently, ones that mimic cavair. I must remember to share on IMK next month. Love the colours of the veg too, in fact - it all looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.