22 October 2017

Spaghetti squash jalfrezi


Spaghetti squash is a brilliant ingredient for may types of dishes. You can just easily roast it, and then scoop out the flesh that comes out in spaghetti like thin strings. This time I wanted to combine the mild and sweet vegetable with a spicy curry in the style of a jalfrezi. It turned out really nice. I added some of my Finnish dried broad bean crush as an extra protein in order to make a really wholesome dish.

I donated my mortar and pestle before the move (or actually they belonged to my partner), so I decided to buy a ready made garam masala. But that was a great decision, as I then detected a lovely spice shop in the nearby covered market, and their garam masala was really brilliant. I'm not sure, if I'll buy new mortar and pestle anytime soon. The shop has a very good selection of spices and they are good value for money. I will be returning, especially for some Christmas spices soon.

So if you fancy a bit of a squash curry, read my easy recipe here.


Spaghetti squash jalfrezi

Ingredients

1 spaghetti squash
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions
4 garlic cloves
2 cm fresh ginger
2 chillies
2 tbsp garam masala
2 tsp turmeric
1 can coconut milk
200 g tomatoes
4 tbsp tomato purée
1 cup dried broad bean crush
Fresh coriander
1 cup mixed rice

Method

Cut the spaghetti squash in half and brush it with vegetable oil. Roast in the oven until tender and the flesh can be easily removed with a fork.

Chop the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli finely. First sautée the onions in vegetable oil in a pan, and then add the garlic, ginger and chillies as well, followed by the tomatoes.

Cook for a while and then add the spices. Heat the spices through and pour the coconut milk to the pan.

Also add the tomato purée and broad bean crush.

Let simmer until everything is cooked nicely and the flavours have blended.

Add the roasted spaghetti squash flesh and cook for a while longer.

Serve with rice and enjoy!




Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, that looks very tasty.
    We have a spaghetti squash growing, but it isn't stripey. I'm hoping it will ripen over the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool to have your own spaghetti squash, enjoy the crops!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.