7 April 2015

Torvehallerne Food Market in Copenhagen

I'm back home and back at work again, so regular recipe posts will follow soon. My holiday was just wonderful and I'm sorry that I didn't have time to post more during it. There were just occasional Instagram photos or the odd tweet. I was having such a good and relaxing time and I'm more in love with Copenhagen than ever. That means that there will be a few Copenhagen posts still to follow, once I get my photos fully organised. In the meanwhile I thought I'd introduce to you a true gem from there, the food market Torvehallerne

This food market consist of two large indoor halls and outdoor stalls between them offering the tastiest street food and local produce surrounded by cosy seating areas with wooden benches and tables and it's open every day. I can't think of many better places to spend a lazy afternoon on a Saturday or Sunday, maybe getting together with friends.




One of my favourites in the halls was Gorm's Pizza where I returned to have another pizza as it was so excellent. They offer a good selection of gourmet pizzas, some of which are vegetarian and it seemed to be a very popular place to buy lunch. I chose a Margherita filled with tomato, buffalo mozzarella and fresh basil, as it's always a good basic to assess the quality of the place. I really also wanted to try the pizza called Lykkemis, made with tomato, buffalo mozzarella, potato, rosemary, portobello mushrooms, pesto and arugula, but I didn't have time anymore to get it. I think I will attempt something similar at home soon. There were also Pizzaklapper on the menu, which are so called “pizza flaps”, half of a pizza clapped together in a fashion of a wrap and served in a small paper bag. A neat idea for a lunch pizza!




There were a few stands offering local beers and of course I sampled some of them. The weather was really nice throughout whole Easter and it was wonderful to enjoy cool tasty beers outdoors. I haven't really had the chance to do that in England yet this year.


Danish bakeries are deservedly world famous for their excellent quality and they surely didn't disappoint this time either. In a bakery in the Torvehallerne I bought a rye bread made with sea salt and some luscious truffle balls to take away. The balls disappeared quite quickly, but I have some rye bread still left here at home.






This is only a quick post of what I experienced at the halls, but there is so much more to see and taste. You know how much I love food markets and this is one of the best I have ever visited. The location is also very convenient, the halls are only a few minutes walk away from the main shopping streets. Check the place out, if you're ever in Copenhagen!


Torvehallerne KBH, Frederiksborggade 21, 1360 København K


5 comments:

  1. what a great place to visit - I had a copenhagen holiday once when living in london but it was too short and not enough time at the bakeries - really need to go back one day and get to places like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can really recommend a visit. I already want to go back! Copenhagen is just the perfect city for me, big enough to have all sorts of exciting things, yet quite small and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind words. We hope it's okay we shared it on our facebook and used your beautiful pictures.
    https://www.facebook.com/gormspizza?fref=ts

    Kind regards
    Gorm's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you very much for sharing my post and I'm glad you liked the photos! I really enjoyed my visits and hope to come back soon. :)

      Delete
    2. Actually, the design team just saw your pictures - they love them also. Maybe you would allow us to use them?
      Please contact me on pernille@gormspizza.dk if your are interrested in this.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.