18 April 2015

Potato pizza


I was partly influenced by my trip to Copenhagen and partly by the Vegetable Palette food blogging challenge to make this potato pizza. I have been planning this sort of a pizza for ages, but never made one. I made this in the style of a fried pizza (first stage is on a frying pan, then oven), like I have made a few before. In the meanwhile I think that it's the best way to get a crispy crusted pizza with a regular oven. The pizza turned out to be lovely, so from now on I will be making such potato pizzas more often. I used my typical spelt crust as the base and rosemary as seasoning. 

Naturally I want to share this post with the Vegetable Palette for April, where the theme for this month is “White vegetables”. The challenge is hosted by Shaheen from the A2K - A Seasonal Veg Table


Here is my Potato pizza recipe:

Ingredients

Spelt crust:

2 tbsp dry yeast
200 g wheat flour
200 g spelt flour
2 tsp salt
350 ml lukewarm water
3 tbsp olive oil

Toppings:

1 small onion
1 garlic clove
3-5 potatoes depending on the size
Mozzarella pearls
Sea salt
Black pepper
Fresh rosemary
Olive oil

Method

Make the pizza dough first: Mix the dry ingredients, then add water and olive oil and knead. Let the dough rise in a bowl under a tea towel for about one hour. Later roll out thin pizzas from it.

Chop the onion in thin half rings and the garlic finely. Cut the potatoes into thin slices. I didn't peel mine, as then the potato taste was even more intense.

Cook the potato slices in boiling water for about 5 minutes so that they are pretty much cooked. Put them into a bowl with olive oil, rosemary, seas salt and black pepper and mix. Leave them in the bowl for about 5 minutes.

Heat a large frying pan with a metal handle to the highest setting and place the pizza dough on the dry pan. Place the toppings onto the pizza and leave in the pan for a couple of minutes. Then put the whole pan into the oven under the grill at 250C. Leave in the oven until baked and golden brown. It can take only a couple of minutes or a little bit longer depending on the power of the oven.



Serve immediately and enjoy! Have good pizza moments!

Your VegHog

8 comments:

  1. looks lovely - I have never tried pizza this way - don't have a frypan that goes in the oven but I would like to try this - I find a metal tray and a preheated baking stone helps but I am sure I could add more crispiness to my pizza bases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both worth a try, the potato pizza and the frying pan technique. My large frying pan just about fits into the oven, but I've also tried with a small one and it's all good!

      Delete
  2. My 11 years old will love this pizza very much, so as me

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is proper comfort food, thank you for sharing with #VegetablePalette. Love the sound of the spelt crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaheen! It is very comforting indeed.

      Delete
    2. The round up will be up later tonight, once again Thank you for sharing. Its Friday and I would so love a slice of this right now, looking forward to the long Bank Holiday - hope you have a good one too.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the great round up once again!
      I'm so happy about the long weekend too. Haven't made many plans, just want to take it easy and relax and cook. I hope you have a nice one!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.