1 April 2015

Cauliflower nuggets


April is here and so is nugget time! I'm feeling pretty upbeat at the moment, because even though I get home fairly late from work, now it's actually still bright at that time. I'm also off to Copenhagen in a couple of days and going to spend Easter there, so prepare for a few Danish posts! Additionally to all of this goodness I bought some lovely tulips, my favourite flowers, to cheer me up.


A while ago I made broccoli nuggets and thought that I would try a similar recipe, but use cauliflower instead of broccoli. These were quite nice small bites and surprisingly easy to make in the oven as lower fat versions, yet still crispy. Here are my ingredients and method for making these cauliflower nuggets.

Ingredients for about 15 cauliflower nuggets

1 cauliflower
1 shallot
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
150 g mature cheddar
2 eggs
50 g spelt flour
50 + 50 g breadcrumbs



Method

Cut the cauliflower into florets and steam them until they are done.

Chop the shallot and garlic finely and cook them in olive oil until soft.

Mix the shallots with the cauliflower and when mixing crush the soft cauliflower into smaller pieces.

Season the mix with smoked paprika, salt and ground black pepper.

Grate the cheese and add it, half of the breadcrumbs and the egg yolks to the mix.

Place the spelt flour, egg whites and breadcrumbs on separate plates.

Shape nuggets from the cauliflower mix and dip them into each plate of spelt flour, egg whites and breadcrumbs.

Place them on baking paper on a baking tray and bake in the oven at 200C for about 20 minutes or until they are golden brown with a crispy surfaces.

Enjoy with a nice dip, salad, bread or veggie burgers, anything really that you desire.



Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. Your nuggets look yummy. I like anything with a crisp exterior. You may wish to link up with this months Vegetable Palette and the theme is White Vegetables :) But its up to you of course. Have a good time in Copenhagen. I have family coming down for the Easter holidays,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just thought the same when I saw your next Vegetable Palette theme, but then I had already posted this! I might do it, although the theme might inspire me for other dishes as well, so I'll see.

      Have a lovely Easter time with your family! And thank you, I will be posting from Copenhagen or afterwards trip updates from home. It's nice to be off for a few days. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.