9 March 2019

Tomato and lentil soup with oregano dumplings


I've just returned from a small holiday to Norway. The fjord landscapes were very beautiful as always, and there was still some snow. I enjoyed visiting Oslo very much again, but I'm also happy to be back home. This weekend I will just be relaxing some more, cooking at home and going to my local vegetable market.

Today's recipe is an easy but very pleasing vegan tomato and lentil soup. What makes it a little bit more special, are the oregano dumplings added to it. They make the soup very wholesome. My partner has actually created this recipe, and I have many times demanded him to cook the soup. Now he told me how to make it, and I think that I will make it many times. I want to share this goodness with you.

Tomato and lentil soup

2 onions
3 garlic cloves
5 small carrots
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ cup red lentils
1 vegetable stock cube
1 bay leaf
1 can tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato purée
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
Smoked paprika to taste

Oregano dumplings

1 cup wheat flour
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
½ cup water

Method

Chop the onions, garlic and carrots.

Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan and cook the onions until they are soft.

Then add the carrots, soon followed by the garlic, and cook them for a while.

Add the lentils, vegetable stock cube, bay leaf and 2-3 cups water.

Let simmer until the lentils are fully cooked. Add more water, if needed.

Add the tomatoes and seasoning, and let simmer until the flavours have blended nicely.

Mix the dumpling batter.

When the soup is on a slow simmer, drop tablespoon sized pieces of the batter to the soup.

Let them cook for about 15 minutes until they are done.

Serve the soup and enjoy!





I'm sharing this recipe with My Legume Love Affair #126 hosted by Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen. My Legume Love Affair was started by Susan from The Well-Seasoned Cook, and is now hosted by Lisa from Lisa's Kitchen.


Have a great weekend!

Your VegHog 

8 comments:

  1. sounds delicious - I don't have enough dumplings in my life and could gobble up these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, more dumplings are definitely needed!

      Delete
  2. this looks delicious and very hearty. I love lentils! cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed, it has become one of my recent favourites and we have it often.

      Delete
  3. Ah dumplings, yum. Thanks for sharing with MLLA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The round up will be up in the next couple of days, thanks again for sharing and please also Thank you partner for sharing this recipe with you, so that you could share it with us. It does look really good, esp. those oregano dumplings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.