22 November 2019

Currywurst


Is everyone having a nice Friday? Perhaps you are craving a vegan sausage dish. At least now you've come to a place where you can read about one. Maybe you will be inspired to make this German style dish.

Currywurst, curry sausage, is a true working class hero from Germany and it is eaten a lot. The dish was invented in Berlin in 1949 by Herta Heuwer, who sold her creation as streetfood. Since then it has become a favourite in many German regions and is often enjoyed as takeaway or streetfood. Traditionally it's a cut sausage (yes, the cutting is a must!) served with tomato based and curry spiced sauce. Usually fries are served on the side.

Of course I veganised the traditional recipe and made the sauce myself. I also added some more veg to the serving: homemade twice-cooked potato fries, grated turnip, braised fennel and pickled red cabbage. I spiced my sauce with ground cumin, ground turmeric, smoked paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper and ground black pepper, as my kitchen was lacking curry powder. It was a nice and comforting dish.

I have previously made a tri-lingual post about currywurst, which you can find here. How do you feel about currywurst? Have you ever tasted it, or would you like to?



Have a nice weekend!

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.