10 November 2019

Polenta chips


This weekend has been very good so far. We went for a long walk at the harbour yesterday. It was cloudy and drizzly, but not too bad altogether. We ended up at a new beer release in one of our favourite bars. The new beer was a Belgian style cherry and vanilla beer, which was such a perfect choice for yesterday. Today I need to do food shopping for next week. I know, it's not so great to do it on a Sunday, but next week will be busy again, so it's best to get it out of the way. The shop we are planning to go to is just next to our local park, so it will also be a nice stroll through the park.

I had this unopened bag of polenta in my cupboard for a while. I like polenta, but it's not part of my usual basics, so that's why it was left for a while. I suddenly remembered that polenta chips would be great for a change and decided to make them. They are really easy to make and you can customise the seasoning as you like. I served my polenta chips with a tomato dip, veggie cheese Schnitzel and side salad. It was a good combo.

Polenta chips

Ingredients

650 ml vegetable stock
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried wild garlic
1 tsp garlic powder
125 g polenta
Vegetable oil for frying

Method

Heat the vegetable stock and season it with salt, pepper, dried wild garlic and garlic powder.

Cook the polenta in the vegetable stock until done.

Spread the cooked polenta evenly on a lined roasting tray and let it cool. Chill it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Cut chips from the polenta and shallow fry the chips in vegetable oil until they are crispy. Tap any excess oil off with kitchen roll.

Serve with the sides of your choice.



Your VegHog

3 comments:

  1. polenta chips sound lovely - I have a bag of polenta that has been ignored and now I wonder where it is! I tried to use some up in polenta that I fried in big squares which was great but must see if it is still about needing to be used and try some chips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fried polenta squares also sound nice, perhaps with some roasted veg on top. I still have some polenta left, so I'll need to use it soon. I also once made a polenta lasagne, replacing the pasta sheets with thin polenta layers. It was pretty good.

      Delete
  2. These look good, its been a good while since i made polenta chips, looking back on my blog it was in 2009, but i know i have made them since then, your post is a reminder to make them again, be a nice change from potatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.