24 January 2022

Käsespätzle mit Zwiebeln und Weisswein

 

This is a lovely German style dish, one of my favourite comfort foods, small dough dumplings with onion, cheese and wine. The ingredients are very basic. All you need is some time and patience for making the dumplings. You can have Spätzle as a side dish on its own too, but I find that these cheese and onion Spätzle are superior. Have a look at my recipe below.


Käsespätzle mit Zwiebeln und Weisswein


Ingredients

Spätzle dough

2 cups wheat flour

½ cup polenta

2 tbsp potato flour

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp vegetable oil

1 cup water


Other ingredients

2 onions

3 garlic cloves

½ cup white wine

150 g grated Emmental cheese

1 tbsp butter

Salt to taste

Ground black pepper to taste


Method


Make the Spätzle dough first. Mix it until it’s quite bouncy. Add more water or flour, if needed.

Bring water to the boil and press the dough through a Spätzlehobel or potato ricer to the boiling water.

Boil until the dumplings float on the surface and remove the cooked ones with a slotted spoon.

Heat the butter in a frying pan and add the finely chopped onions and garlic. Cook until they are soft and translucent.

Then add the cooked Spätzle to the pan followed by the cheese and wine, season with salt and black pepper and cook until the flavours have blended nicely and the cheese has melted around the Spätzle.

I served this cheese Spätzle with Emmental crisps, sunblushed tomatoes, homemade croutons and salad.

 


I’m sharing this dish with my Cheap Eats challenge. Check it out, you’ll still have plenty of time to take part.



Your VegHog

 

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, that sounds (and looks) very yummy! I'd like to learn more veg-friendly vegan recipes to work into my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about cheap vegan eats! YAY!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.