14 June 2013

Homemade tortillas with char-grilled vegetables, refried beans, salsa and guacamole

This is the final day of my Mexican week for now (there might be others to come) and today I'm mainly just assembling the components that I shared with you this week. But first of all I'm preparing the final pieces to the puzzle: char-grilled vegetables. What could be a nicer addition to a Mexican style vegetarian meal than some char-grilled vegetables with their smokiness.

I used these ingredients:

1 aubergine
2-3 peppers
1 can sweetcorn
Groundnut oil for grilling


Heat a little groundnut oil in a griddle pan and grill the sliced vegetables until they have grilling marks. You can roast them further in the oven if they are not quite done yet after the grilling.

I used canned sweetcorn this time and just fried them in the griddle pan. It was not the easiest thing as they just got between the griddles but they got slightly grilled in the end.

Gotta love those griddle marks!

Assembly of the dish:


Place some grated cheese, the char-grilled vegetables and refried beans on the tortilla and serve the whole thing with the homemade sauces and sour cream on the side. You can roll the tortillas to wraps, if you prefer, but I chose to leave them open.

Add jalapeƱos to the plate for extra spiciness.

Tomato and grilled pepper salsa, guacamole and sour cream. 

I tend to eat a lot but this kind of plate is so filling that it's difficult to manage any seconds!

I hope you have enjoyed this week's recipes, which basically are out of my comfort zone. I tried to bring these dishes back to basics and hopefully haven't insulted anyone through lacking authenticity in Mexican cooking.

Thanks for reading and stay hungry!

Your VegHog


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.