26 February 2017

Thai rice with fennel, carrots and cashews


Light vegan Thai dishes are my favourites at the moment, and I can imagine cooking more this type of dishes towards the spring. I made once again a similar rice dish with Thai flavours, as I have done a few times before. You can use whatever vegetables you have, but as I have been also so fond of fennel lately, I chose to use fennel paired with the basic and economical carrots that go well in so many dishes. This was a very tasty and flavoursome dish.


Thai rice with fennel, carrot and cashews

Ingredients

1 fennel
2 carrots
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
3 cm fresh ginger
1 small chilli
1 tbsp vegetable oil
160 ml coconut cream
Bunch fresh Thai basil
Bunch fresh coriander
2 dried lemongrass stalks
1 lime's juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
150 g cashew nuts
1 cup jasmine rice

Method

Cook the jasmine rice in water.

Chop the cashew nuts coarsely and toast them on a dry pan.

Chop the fennel into slices and the carrots into slices. Also chop the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli finely.

Start cooking the onion in vegetable oil, and once it's soft and slightly browned, add the garlic, ginger and chilli to the pan.

After a while also add the carrots, soon followed by the fennel. Cook for a little while and then add the coconut cream and spices.

Let the mix simmer, and shortly before serving, mix in the rice and cashews.

Enjoy!



Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. This dish looks and sounds lovely and tasty.
    I emailed Shaheen my entry for this month's eat your green, she said she will forward it to you.I have linked my post to your blog.Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sadhna! I received your entry and the round up should be up tomorrow. Thank you for taking part!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.