18 August 2019

Spanakopita


It has been quite a cloudy and rainy weekend over here, but it made it easier for me just to relax and take it easy. Today we'll head to the vegetable market to get some supplies for next week, and then I'll just potter in the kitchen making Sunday dinner.

A spanakopita has been on my mind for a while, and I also wanted to work with filo again after a long time. So I finally got around making a tasty spanakopita with crispy pastry and comforting soft spinach and feta filling. It was surprisingly easy to make, and I will surely be making it again.


Spanakopita

Ingredients

230 g filo pastry
230 g frozen spinach
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
140 g feta
3 tbsp fresh parsley
2 eggs
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ cup olive oil

Method

Preheat the oven to 170C.

Chop the onion and garlic finely and let the frozen spinach thaw. Then drain all excess liquid off the spinach.

Mix the spinach, onion and garlic with the crumbled feta, fresh parsley, eggs, salt and pepper into an even mix.

Brush a baking tray with oil and place two sheets of the filo pastry on it. Brush the sheets with oil and add a couple of more layers.

Then put the spinach mix onto the pastry, and layer the rest of the sheets on top, and brush them all individually with oil.

Wrap the excess filo on the edges to the baking tray.

Bake the spanakopita for about one hour until the pastry is crispy and the filling has cooked nicely.

Enjoy!






I'm sharing this recipe as my this month's Eat Your Greens contribution. I'm hosting the challenge this month with my co-host and creator of the challenge, Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen blog.


Your VegHog

3 comments:

  1. Lovely. My husband is a big fan of spanakopita and its been a while since i made some, so maybe in the next few weeks I will make him one with the Swiss chard from the garden, right now I will tease him by showing him your spanakopita - what a nice contribution to #EatYourGreens

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious - my mum has been making spanikopita with puff pastry recently which I mean to try but seeing your filo pastry - esp the big puffy edges - reminds me how long since I have baked with filo and makes me want to try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are absolutely mouth-watering! That used to be on the menu at some Greek restaurants where we would eat, but I have not had any in years. I wonder if it's still available here. Since my husband dislikes spinach (to put it mildly) I don't make it myself.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.