2 February 2015

Noodles with smoky tofu, spring onions and soy beans


Last year I reserved Plenty More by Yotam Ottolenghi months before it was published, as I already knew that it would be another brilliant cookbook. I really like Plenty and Ottolenghi's vegetarian recipes in the Guardian, so it was a given that I would buy this one too. I will review the book at some point, but now I'm only introducing one recipe, as I (nearly) followed it. I say nearly, because I made some additions and used slightly different ingredient amounts, depending on availability.

The Ottolenghi recipe Rice noodles with spring onions and soy beans is on pages 68-69 in Plenty More and a digital version of it can be found here


Below is my version. I added some smoky tofu and garlic to the dish as well and used buckwheat noodles instead of rice noodles. I liked this dish very much, and it's also quick to make.

Ingredients

200 g buckwheat noodles
225 g smoky tofu
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 bunch spring onions
2 garlic cloves
2 red chillies
200 g frozen soy beans
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
15 g fresh coriander
1 lime zest

Method

Cook the noodles first, drain and rinse and set to side.

Cut the tofu into small cubes and fry them in vegetable oil until golden brown and bouncy. Also set them to side.

Cut the spring onions into about 3 cm long pieces. Chop the chilli and garlic finely.

Heat vegetable oil in a pan or wok and cook the garlic, spring onions and chilli for a few minutes.

Cook the soy beans quickly in water, drain and add to the pan.

Also add the noodles and tofu to the pan.

Drizzle sesame oil, sesame seeds, rice wine vinegar, coriander and lime zest on the top.


Enjoy!

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.