27 May 2015

Soya fillets on a vegetable bed


I've had a good week so far, a couple of days off and a short trip to Oxford, from which I will be posting a few photos soon. Here is a new recipe for a light meal that I cooked inspired by my new dried soya fillets. The fillets are quite versatile to use and now I combined them with a green stir fry type of a dish. All in all this is a quick and easy vegan dish and here is how I made it.

Ingredients

6-8 dried soya fillets
1 red onion
2 carrots
150 g radishes
230 g purple sprouting broccoli
230 g pak choi
1 garlic clove
1 small chilli
1 tsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine


Method

Prepare the soya fillets and chop all the veg. My soya fillets needed to be cooked in water for 10 minutes and then they could be fried. Fry the soya fillets so that they get a bit firmer and add a little soy sauce.

Chop the red onion into half rings and the carrots into thin sticks. Slice the radishes and the pak choi. Chop the garlic and chilli finely.

Fry the onions, garlic, chilli and carrots in the vegetable oil. Season with sesame oil, soy sauce and Shaoxing rice wine and add the radishes and purple sprouting broccoli. Let simmer until the vegetables are cooked, yet a little bit with bite or crunch. Add the pak choi only just before serving to warm through and get slightly infused by the sauce.

Serve the vegetables with the soya fillets and enjoy!




I'll share this recipe with the Eat Your Greens vegetarian food blogging challenge that's all about green vegetables. This challenge is hosted by Shaheen from the A2K - A Seasonal Veg Table.  


Have a nice week!

Your VegHog

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I can see my husband appreciating the texture of the soya fillets. Do you mind if I ask what brand you used? Thanks also for sharing with EatYourGreens - the PSB and pak choi has me interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used these: http://soyappetit.fi/tuotteet/soijafileet/ But as they are a Finnish product, I'm not sure if they can be purchased here. I'm not quite sure, if I've seen anything like that here. Surely they do exist, will only have to do some digging. I like them, but the texture can get almost too meat like...

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I have seen soya chunks, that I think you would be able to slice, but the size is not that big so would hardly be called fillets, but I will see if I can find something similar as well and will let you know if I do. See here for the soya 'beef' chunks http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/vegan-beef-soy-chunks-and-green-papaya.html

      Delete
  2. This is really nice ,I use soya mince and chunks in my cooking , will try this fillets with veg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can make this well with the soya chunks as well, if you can't find the fillets.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.