17 January 2017

Falafel platter


I made a hearty falafel platter on Sunday and I really enjoyed it. It was filled with homemade falafel, veggies, halloumi and hummus. This was just my kind of platter and the left-overs fed us for two further lunches, as it was incredibly filling. This dish is easy to veganise by simply leaving out the halloumi, everything else is vegan.

I used a slightly different method in the falafel making by oven baking them, or basically just grilling them under the grill setting in the oven. I also got to use these lovely Hodmedod's split dried fava beans, which are an excellent ingredient. Please read more details below how to make these falafel.


Falafel

10 chunky falafel

1 cup split dried fava beans
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 onion
5 garlic cloves
2 small chillies
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
Bunch fresh coriander
Bunch fresh parsley

Sides

Homemade hummus
Salad with lettuce, cherry tomatoes and grated carrots
Pomegranate seeds
Fried halloumi
Char-grilled bell peppers
Pita bread

Method

Cook the fava beans and chickpeas until they are done. I decided to cook them, although in some falafel recipes they are just soaked.

Chop the onion, garlic and chillies finely and cook them briefly in vegetable oil in a pan until they are soft and the onions slightly browned.

Season the onion mix and add the fresh herbs, fava beans and chickpeas to the mix and purée. I like to purée the mix just partially, still leaving some chickpeas whole.

Shape chunky falafel from the mix and grill them in the oven under the highest grill setting for a few minutes. Turn to grill the other side as well.





I would like to share the falafel recipe with this month's My Legume Love Affair challenge hosted by Rafeeda from The Big Sweet Tooth and co-hosted by Lisa from Lisa's Kitchen.


Have further a nice week!

Your VegHog

6 comments:

  1. Oh what a delightful plate of food, so much colour and flavour. I'd be more than happy to tuck in that anytime of day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was quite happy with it, and still am even after having the same food twice as lunch afterwards as well.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! I love that variety in a plate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I also really enjoy this kind of plates of food.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.