17 January 2017

Falafel platter


I made a hearty falafel platter on Sunday and I really enjoyed it. It was filled with homemade falafel, veggies, halloumi and hummus. This was just my kind of platter and the left-overs fed us for two further lunches, as it was incredibly filling. This dish is easy to veganise by simply leaving out the halloumi, everything else is vegan.

I used a slightly different method in the falafel making by oven baking them, or basically just grilling them under the grill setting in the oven. I also got to use these lovely Hodmedod's split dried fava beans, which are an excellent ingredient. Please read more details below how to make these falafel.


Falafel

10 chunky falafel

1 cup split dried fava beans
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 onion
5 garlic cloves
2 small chillies
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
Bunch fresh coriander
Bunch fresh parsley

Sides

Homemade hummus
Salad with lettuce, cherry tomatoes and grated carrots
Pomegranate seeds
Fried halloumi
Char-grilled bell peppers
Pita bread

Method

Cook the fava beans and chickpeas until they are done. I decided to cook them, although in some falafel recipes they are just soaked.

Chop the onion, garlic and chillies finely and cook them briefly in vegetable oil in a pan until they are soft and the onions slightly browned.

Season the onion mix and add the fresh herbs, fava beans and chickpeas to the mix and purée. I like to purée the mix just partially, still leaving some chickpeas whole.

Shape chunky falafel from the mix and grill them in the oven under the highest grill setting for a few minutes. Turn to grill the other side as well.





I would like to share the falafel recipe with this month's My Legume Love Affair challenge hosted by Rafeeda from The Big Sweet Tooth and co-hosted by Lisa from Lisa's Kitchen.


Have further a nice week!

Your VegHog

7 comments:

  1. Oh what a delightful plate of food, so much colour and flavour. I'd be more than happy to tuck in that anytime of day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was quite happy with it, and still am even after having the same food twice as lunch afterwards as well.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your nice comment!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I also really enjoy this kind of plates of food.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.