31 August 2016

Eat Your Greens August Round Up



I received many fantastic vegan and vegetarian green recipes for Eat Your Greens again, although I was fearing that August could be quieter as a holiday month. Thank you everyone very much for your submissions! I really enjoyed reading through all of your blog posts.

Here are the August recipes, enjoy the selection!

First of all Janet from The Taste Space submitted this Creamy Summer Cajun Soup containing loads of veggies and greens: carrots, pepper, sweet potato, tomatoes, peas, chickpeas and baby spinach. I really like the pretty peas on the top, as I am a fan of them anyway. Otherwise the dish also sounds so comforting and looks pretty and summery colourful.


Corina from Searching for Spice shared a Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette. This is such a summery and fresh salad with spinach, orange and grapefruit segments covered in a grapefruit vinaigrette. I absolutely adore citrus salads and this one would be just perfect on a hot day.


Lisa from Lisa's Kitchen submitted the Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Curry with Swiss Chard and Roasted Eggplant. The title kind of says what the recipe is all about. It's earthy and spicy full of some very nice vegetables and spices. I always like curries that feature pulses and the addition of eggplant and swiss chard make this one a very interesting and seasonal dish.


My Eat Your Greens co-host and creator of the challenge, Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen, cooked a Curried Anglo Italian Fenugreek Ratatouille, which had a nice fusion twist to the normal ratatouille adding garam masala, turmeric and chilli to the typical ratatouille veggies courgettes, aubergines and tomatoes. This sounds like a great improvement over the standard dish.


Mary Ellen from VNutrition posted this Green Curry with Tofu. It contains great summer vegetables: zucchini, broccoli, leeks and bean sprouts. I'm always in favour of a good green curry, especially with tofu, so this immediately got my attention and I would be delighted to try this recipe.


Johanna from Green Gourmet Giraffe shared a Thai curry split pea soup, which looks so pretty and has such a nice green shade. The dish contains leek, split peas, zucchinis, pattypan squashes, portobello mushroom, corn kernels, pumpkin and baby spinach. Then there's a yellow curry paste and coconut cream that must create lovely Thai flavours in this dish. Again, I'm a big vegan Thai food fan and this just ticks all the boxes for me.


My own recipe this month was a Pea Schnitzel with potato mash and marinated carrots. For the pea Schnitzel itself I used dried pea crush, but served the dish with fresh seasonal peas. Since my childhood, fresh peas have been my absolute summer favourites, they are so much better than sweets! There were also thyme flavours running through the whole dish.


This was it for August. Thank you very much for taking part again. I'll pass the hosting over to Shaheen for September. Keep sharing your green recipes with us!

Your VegHog

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, I think so you! Will you be sharing a recipe with us again next month?

      Delete
    2. I think so too, I was meaning to write. :)

      Delete
  2. love seeing all the greens - it is finally spring here so I hope to have lots of greens in my cooking to share this month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great, I'm looking forward to that very much!

      Delete
  3. Lovely recipes! I agree with Johanna - whenever I see the lovely green round up for this linky it really does make me want to eat my greens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Thank you for taking part again! :)

      Delete
  4. Fantastic round up, thank you so much for hosting and the lovely write up. I love the vibrancy of the greens in each recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was a good month, or aren't they all. Have fun hosting in September! :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.