20 November 2016

Vegan sushi


Vegan sushi is such a great thing and fun to make. I'm not perfect at it, but I like to try. It's an opportunity to be really creative with the fillings, rice colourings and shapes. Some of mine unwillingly ended up looking a little bit like poke balls and angry birds characters.

I also think that vegan sushi is one of the best packed lunch options to have. The taste is very nice and most importantly they make the colleagues eating canteen sandwiches really jealous.

This time I used these ingredients in all sorts of combinations in the vegan sushi rolls:

  • white sushi rice
  • beetroot coloured sushi rice
  • fried tofu
  • yellow and orange carrots
  • samphire
  • marinated kabocha squash with mirin, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil
  • sea salad containing dried organic dulse, organic nori and organic sea lettuce
  • red homegrown chilli
  • umeboshi paste

What are your favourite combinations for vegan sushi?






Your VegHog

6 comments:

  1. I need to make some more sushi now, but its getting a bit nippy that I want something warm like soup for work. Yes, I so agree it does make colleagues at work biting into a sarnie real jealous. By the way where did you get the beetroot coloured sushi rice or did you do it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is right, warm soups sound great especially after yesterday's storm. I coloured the rice myself with beetroot. There wer two different batches, that's why the other one is slightly more orange. But even better to have more variation.

      Delete
  2. They do look like poke balls! Haha that's awesome. Love your creativity with food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think they would look less like poke balls, if I had intended it. :)

      Delete
  3. ooh that looks so much fun with the beetroot rice (I can see the angry birds) - would like to hear more about ho you do it - and this is my fave sushi recipe - http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/sushi-with-sticky-walnuts-and-endamame.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sushi looks amazing! I want to give it a go, as it's a bit more spicy.

      I realise now I should have briefly mentioned in the text how I made the red sushi, but was once again in a hurry writing. So I peeled a beetroot and quartered it and then just cooked with the rice. I stirred occasionally to get the colour to distribute better. This beetroot can then be used in other dishes. I'm sure there are other methods, but this gave a nice little colour to the rice.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.