6 November 2016

Chickpea and root vegetable burgers


I've been eating so many veggie burgers lately when going out, so I thought it's time again to make my own proper veggie burgers. These are my vegan, rustic, low fat burger patties made with root vegetables, chickpeas and spices. I really liked these oven baked flavoursome burgers. They were just perfect with spicy homemade potato wedges and chilli ketchup.


Chickpea and root vegetable burgers

Ingredients

2 carrots
4 small purple carrots
2 turnips
Olive oil
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1,5 cup chickpeas
Fresh coriander leaves
Ground cumin to taste
Smoked paprika to taste
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
4 tbsp breadcrumbs
Ciabatta rolls
Chilli ketchup
Lettuce

Served with spicy smoky rubbed potato wedges on the side

Method

Cut the root vegetables into smaller pieces, brush them with olive oil and roast in the oven until done. Mash them after the roasting.

Cook the chickpeas. Soak them overnight first, if you are using dried chickpeas.

Chop the onion and garlic finely and cook them in oil in a pan until soft.

Combine the chickpeas, root vegetables, onion and garlic, mashed root vegetables and mash the chickpeas also partly.

Season the mix and shape generously sized burger patties from the mix.

Bake the burger patties at 200 C for about 30 minutes.

Serve the patties with rolls and any fillings you wish and enjoy!





I'm sharing the recipe with My Legume Love Affair cooking challenge. Simona from the Briciole blog is hosting the even this month and co-hosted by Lisa from Lisa's Kitchen.




Your VegHog

5 comments:

  1. Nom nom chickpea burger.
    Enjoy what's left of your weekend, then its back to work :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not long to go now. I find a bit comfort in planning next week's meals and also catching up with lovely blog posts. Have a good evening too!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I guess it could always be better, but I enjoyed it very much. :)

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of using roasted root vegetables! Thank you for contributing to My Legume Love Affair.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.