6 January 2014

Brussels sprout gratin


I let the muse take me with this one, I just had the beautiful stalk of red brussels sprouts and some basics in my kitchen that I usually have most of the time, and then I started cooking. The result is this interesting sprout gratin with smoky and lemony flavours. Brussels sprout recipes are great for the winter and I also like the versatile ingredient pearled spelt and will soon be posting more recipes with it.


Ingredients

Stalk of red brussels sprouts (about 400g of sprouts)
125 ml pearled spelt
1 tbsp vegetable stock powder
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 lemon's juice
25 g pine nuts
1 dl lemon and pepper breadcrumbs
Olive oil
100 g smoky cheese
Salt
Pepper

Method

Remove the sprouts of the stalk and steam them for about 15 minutes. Boil the pearled spelt in water seasoned with vegetable stock powder for about 20 minutes until soft.

Heat some olive oil in a pan and sweat the onions and garlic for a few minutes. Add the sprouts and spelt to the onions and season it all with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Also add the pine nuts that you can pre-roast on a dry pan if you want to.

Place the mix to an oven dish and put grated smoky cheese and breadcrumbs on the top. Bake the gratin at 180C for about 20-30 minutes and it's ready to be served. Easy!




Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried brussels sprouts like this before, but they look interesting!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, it was a first for me too, but it wasn't bad at all. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.