4 November 2017

In My Kitchen in November


It has been quite orange and yellow in my kitchen lately. I've had pretty seasonal plant decorations at home and also seen many nice ones in the markets. This seasonal wreath was just too cute not to get. I have a bouquet of yellow-orange ilyx, aka a sort of holly, and I absolutely love it. I also have a sortiment of squashes on the dining table. They aren't just purely decoration, as I also keep cooking them. I'm also very fond of these cabbage plants in flower pots, and had to get one of them for my kitchen's window sill.






Also these pumpkin and squash displays have been absolutely lovely in my local vegetable market. I will miss them when they're gone. Soon they will be replaced by some Christmas stuff, no doubt.
 



I couldn't resist having these apple tarts from a local bakery, and seasonal apples have been quite a lot in my kitchen anyway, also in the shape of cider. I've been drinking more beer than cider here in Denmark, but couldn't resist getting this seasonal and artisanal November cider. It was so nicely dry and appley. I think I'll have to get another bottle while November still lasts.



I bought this chilli bouquet on the vegetable market, as it looked so cute. I haven't cooked with the chillies yet, but somehow they seem hot. I'm drying them at the moment, but some of them will probably go into my next spicy dish.


I've had a few pomelos recently, and am looking for cooking tips. Does anyone have good citrus maximus recipes? Have you tried it with a Thai curry? I've only eaten it as a side as a fruit, but any other tips for use would be appreciated.



I haven't tried black garlic before, but now I am quite a fan of it. It's savoury, perfect for seasonal autumn dishes, like chillies. Regretfully I didn't manage to make any spooky halloween cooking. Then I'm sure this would've been very handy. Maybe next year.



Same goes for the green pesto cheese. That would've made some wonderful Frankensteins etc. I also had red chilli cheese from the same range, and both were very nice. I will soon utilise them more in cooking rather than just in sandwiches. But I like the strange look of especially the green cheese.



I think I already mentioned this tomatillo salsa and chipotle salsa on the blog before, but I don't think that I added them to an In my Kitchen post yet. Anyway I've still been enjoying these salsas with Mexican veggie food, one of my absolute favourite cuisines. And these salsas are really good, as I've been too lazy to make my own lately.



Here are some of my recent dishes that I've cooked, but that haven't made it to the blog.


Gnocchi with crispy brown sage butter and cheese


Vegetarian steak by Hälsans Kök made with soya and wheat proteins, served with creamy mushroom sauce and roast potatoes


Carrot pasta with heirloom tomatoes, cheese and onion with garlic sprouts and a homemade garlic knot on the side



Vegetarian grilled pieces with kale, tomatoes, beetroot and cabbage in a stir fry


Homemade spelt crust pizza with green olives and pineapple


Homemade garlic roti bread with spaghetti squash jalfrezi

I have been admiring the autumn colours outside so much. It just looks so wonderful everywhere, and it doesn't even matter, if it's a cloudy weather.


I am sharing this post with Sherry from Sherry's Pickings for the November edition of In My Kitchen.


Have a great weekend everyone!

Your VegHog

20 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautifully colorful! And the nicely arranged dinner plates look delicious.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mae! Happy November to you! :)

      Delete
  2. wow you have tons of stuff in your kitchen this month and I am marvelling at the autumnal colours. I love black garlic hope you enjoy it. Adore the chilli chili bouquet and hope you do get to cook with some of them and the November Cider made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite surprised that I had this much stuff, but it was mainly the decorations that I was hoarding. :)

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so beautiful and colorful, I love the pumpkin stalls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! Yes, this is a very nice season.

      Delete
  4. I love all the reds and oranges in your kitchen Veg Hog:) That holly berry is so cute. and i love the view from your window. Is Halloween a big thing in Denmark? I noticed some Halloween pumpkins. And what a fabulous thing to have seasonal cider. i wish we did! sorry i know nothing about pomelos. i guess you can treat them like grapefruit? I laughed when i saw the green cheese. thanks for joining in IMK this month, and for the mention. have a great november. cheers Sherry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halloween has become quite trendy like in many places in Europe in the recent years. But it was so nice to have all those pumpkin decorations around. And yes, I guess pomelo can be treated a bit like grapefruit. The flesh is much drier, so it's an exciting texture. It was nice to take part again, have a nice November too!

      Delete
  5. That green cheese is fantastic! I would have been great for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it just! I need to remember it next year for Halloween!

      Delete
  6. What a delightful and colour filled post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Squashes really are a beautiful and tasty part of the year! Black garlic is a very surprising taste compared to fresh garlic, I love it but am never too sure of adding it to dishes. Look forward to trying some of your tasty-looking meals again soin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have added black garlic to a few seasonal stews now, and it has been very good. It goes well in homemade veggie sausages, I think I have a recipe in the pipeline coming soon. :)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful autumnal post - those squash displays are gorgeous and I am so jealous of your pesto cheese. Your meals look delicious and I really want to try black garlic. Love the wreath at the top too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna! I was quite happy about this month's bounty, many nice things around, and slowly getting ready for Christmas.

      Delete
  9. It is definitely autumn on your blog this month. Lovely colors and I also agree on the ilyx, it lasts a long time which is nice. Your meals look fabulous although I have never been a lover of pineapple on pizza :-( Thumbs up to everything else though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! Pineapple is one of my favourite pizza toppings, but I know that it divides opinions. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  10. Dear Veg Hog, your post was a visual and taste treat (by proxy)... thanks so much for sharing your IMK adventures this month! Your chipotle and tomatillo salsas were entirely appealing (as were your gnocchi and pizza and the rest of the flavor combo's you featured). Good things are happening (and cooking) in your kitchen! Again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment Kim! That made my day! Have a nice weekend!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.