26 November 2017

Chickpea and spaghetti squash curry with homemade garlic roti


How has your weekend been? I can't believe that it's Sunday again, the weekend went past so quickly! But I guess there's still time to enjoy Sunday. I will head to the vegetable market after writing this post. Then soon after I will start preparing our Sunday dinner, another vegetarian comfort dish. But first I wanted to share this vegan curry recipe with you.

I've been making a lot of vegan comfort curries lately, and this was just one of them. I also used roasted spaghetti squash in it, which added something nice, and served the curry with homemade garlic roti bread. I didn't make the garam masala mix myself this time, as I've found the cutest little spice shop that make a wonderful garam masala mix.

Here is my recipe for Chickpea and spaghetti squash curry with homemade garlic roti.

Chickpea and spaghetti squash curry

Ingredients

1 spaghetti squash
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 cup cooked chickpeas
½ cup red lentils
3 onions
3 garlic cloves
2 cm fresh ginger
1 red chilli
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 large can coconut milk
Fresh coriander

Garlic roti

200 g spelt flour
125 ml water
1 tsp salt
2 garlic cloves
¼ tsp chilli flakes
1 tbsp rapeseed oil

Method

Cut the spaghetti squash in half, brush it with rapeseed oil and roast in the oven until tender.

Chop the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli finely, and start sautéeing the onion in oil. Once it's soft and slightly browned, add the garlic, ginger and chilli into the pan and also sautée them for a while.

Add the spices and mix them in, then pour in the coconut milk, lentils and chickpeas and let simmer. Once the lentils are cooked and you want to simmer the curry some more, scoop the flesh of the spaghetti squash out with a fork and add it to the mix.

While the curry simmers, you can prepare the bread. Knead the spelt flour with the water and salt, and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.

Stretch small breads from it, and fry them on both sides in a hot pan until they get some frying marks. Pour garlic and oil mix onto them. I fried the garlic briefly in the oil. You can also add it raw, if you want it to be more punchy.

Serve the curry with the roti and enjoy!



I'm sharing this recipe with My Legume Love Affair #113, which is hosted by Archana from The Mad Scientists Kitchen this month. The challenge was conceptualized by Susan and hosted by Lisa.


Have a nice Sunday!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. The curry looks good, but I have a confession to make - I do not like spaghetti squash, but I do love chickpeas - comfort in a dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way about spaghetti squash for a long time, but now I have quite started fancying it. But of course, chickpeas are wonderful! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow this is so beautifully done. I will use regular pumpkin to make this gravy a great substitute to potatoes. Thanks for sending it to MLLA #113.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Archana! Yes regular pumpkin would be good too.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.