18 February 2018

Carrot rolls


Carrot rolls have been my favourite ever since my childhood. My mother often made them, and they were just the best thing when warm and fresh. I also make these rolls quite often, especially as I need some evening snacks twice a week to make it through my language class, where I go straight from work and skip dinner on those days. Then these rolls and all sorts of vegetable broths are life-savers.

This recipe is just one variation of the rolls. I normally just make them with the fingertip feel, without measuring the ingredients. I used both orange and purple carrots here in order to get a more vibrant colour. You can also add oat flakes and all sorts of seeds to this recipe, whatever you happen to have in the cupboard.

Carrot rolls

Ingredients

240 g spelt flour
200 g wheat flour
1 tbsp dry yeast
1 tsp salt
250 ml lukewarm water
1 orange carrot grated
1 purple carrot grated
4 tbsp olive oil

Method

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.

Add the grated carrots to the lukewarm water and mix it to the dry ingredients.

Knead for about 10 minutes, and also add the olive oil.

Let rise for about one hour under a teatowel.

Shape rolls from the dough and bake them at 220 C for about 10 minutes or until done.

Enjoy!



Your VegHog

8 comments:

  1. these look lovely - I would be happy with lots of carrot rolls in my life but would probably not get to share my bread with the rest of the household as much - so I think it sounds wonderful to have eaten these a lot as a kid and as an adult

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are nice. I have a new batch in the oven as we speak. :)

      Delete
  2. These look and sound absolutely wonderful! I think I need them in my life soon! I don't have access to many multi-color carrots but I'm assuming you can do it with any regular carrot, too, eh!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! And yes, we certainly didn't have any purple heritage carrots in the 1980s Finland, so any carrot will do. I've also made such rolls with parsnip and swede, it's all good!

      Delete
  3. I've tried a lot of different vegetable/fruit based rolls, but I can honestly say, I've never tried carrot rolls. Yesterday, I saw a recipe for carrot dogs. That's new to me also. I never could stand hotdogs (even naturally made) but I do love carrots and have marinated them in a variety of ways, so I'll be trying that at some point. I know my daughter would love the carrot rolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrots are great as they are so versatile. I hope that you'll get to try carrot rolls at some point. :)

      Delete
  4. I adore these, I need to give your bread roll recipes a go, one day I will - i promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaheen! They are really nice when fresh. I think I'll have to make another batch today, as will have a busy course day again tomorrow, and of course I have some excess carrots flying around. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.