20 July 2019

Spinach and potato curry


How is everyone? I haven't been blogging enough and reading other blogs, as I've been quite busy at work again and then tired in the evenings. I try to catch up a little bit this weekend, although the weather is now really nice, so we will be heading to a beach soon. I also have some nice recipes in the pipeline, I just need to find the time to write them down and edit the photos. I can't believe how quickly July is going past. My holiday is over, but I still want to enjoy the sunny days here in Denmark and just explore Copenhagen. Copenhagen is the perfect summer city with the seaside, channels and cosy parks.

Now to this vegan recipe. I made this comforting curry the other day, and it was very tasty with the Finnish oat block product on top. It's a block like tofu, but it's made from oats and pea protein. I very much prefer this to tofu or paneer, but as the oat block is still a new product and difficult to get outside of Finland, it's okay to substitute it with tofu or paneer in this recipe. Otherwise the curry is quite a basic one, there are just some nice small summer potatoes, frozen spinach and green lentils. I added fresh peas to the rice, which was a great addition, as I can't get enough of fresh peas at the moment. Here is my recipe, if you want to have a look.


Spinach and potato curry

Ingredients

160 g oat block (substitute with paneer or tofu)
8 small potatoes
½ cup green lentils
½ cup frozen spinach
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves
2 chillies
2 cm fresh ginger
Vegetable oil for frying
1 tbsp garam masala
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp ground coriander
1/ tsp ground cumin
3 tbsp tomato purée
1 cup jasmine rice
1 cup fresh peas

Method

Cut the potatoes in halves or quarters depending on the size. Cook the potatoes in water until done, and set them to side, and do the same with the green lentils.

Chop the onion, garlic, chillies and ginger. Heat vegetable oil in a pan and start frying the onions slowly until they are light brown. Once the onions are done, add the garlic, chillies and ginger, and the spices to the pan. Fry for a while.

Add the potatoes, lentils, tomato purée, spinach and some water to the pan, and let simmer until the flavours have blended nicely.

Cut the oat block to cubes, fry them in vegetable oil until golden brown and serve on top of the curry.

Cook the rice, and towards the end of the cooking time, add the fresh peas to the rice.

Serve the curry with the rice and enjoy!



I want to share this recipe with this month's Eat Your Greens cooking challenge hosted by Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen, and co-hosted by me. Go and check out Shaheen's blog, there's still plenty of time to take part in July, especially now that there are so many lovely greens around!


Have a nice weekend everyone!

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. The oat block on top of the spinach and potato curry looks good all golden. How dif. in taste is it from tofu?. Understand lack of blogging due to tiredness after work, as I feel that way too. Its good to be able to catch up when you can. Thanks for sharing this tasty dish with #EatYourGreens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oat block is quite neutral in flavour, but I think it has more salty taste than tofu. It also has a very firm texture. They recommend even a use as cheese substitute on bread, if you cut thin slices. So it's very easy to work with. I still have one block left, but not sure what I'll make from it.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.