30 August 2020

Schupfnudeln with fondue sauce

 

It has been a quiet week and weekend over here with very little significant events. And sometimes those are just the best weeks. I heard that a new street food market opened yesterday fairly close to our home, so I think we will check it out today. Otherwise there is just cooking Sunday dinner on the program. What have you been up to lately?

Schupfnudeln are one of my absolute German food favourites. They are large finger-shaped potato noodles, similar to gnocchi. I love them in any combination, and now I made them with a cheesy fondue sauce. It was so good, best comfort food when it starts getting a bit colder again. This dish is easy to make, it just requires some time and patience. Have a look at my recipe below.

 

Ingredients

 

Schupfnudeln

700 g potatoes

300 g wheat flour

75 g potato flour

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp vegetable oil


Fondue sauce

4 tbsp butter

2 garlic cloves

4 tbsp wheat flour

1 cup white wine

1-2 cups water

100 g Emmental cheese

Onion powder to taste

Ground black pepper to taste

Sea salt to taste


Method

Cook the potatoes and then peel them. Mash the potatoes and let them cool down.

Add the flours gradually to the potato mash, season with salt, add the oil and knead to an even dough.

Shape about 3-4 cm long noodles from the dough.

Cook the noodles in water for about 5 minutes until they float on the top.

Cool them in cold water and then fry in a pan until they have some golden brown frying marks.

Make the sauce in parallel. Melt the butter in a pan and cook the garlic in it.

Whisk the flour in and add the wine.

Then gradually also add water and whisk the mix into a smooth sauce. I put 1-2 cups water to the recipe. Add it until you have the desired thickness.

Then also whisk the Emmental cheese in until it melts.

Season to taste and combine with the noodles.

Serve the dish with a salad. I served some dehydrated cherry tomatoes, mini tomatoes from the garden and spinach leaves with it.




Have a nice Sunday!


Your VegHog


2 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious - I have never had schupfnudeln but I like the sound of it (other than potato flour which I don't have . I also like the sound of the new market - I would love to get to our farmers market if I could sort out my saturday mornings. I did have a lovely sunny walk in the park yesterday with a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks lovely. Did you dry your own tomatoes?

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.