22 October 2013

Tofu & tomato pasta sauce


I made this pasta sauce a while ago when I was in Finland, but I didn't get around posting it yet. I haven't posted many other pasta dishes lately either, so that needs to be corrected. On that note may I present you a simple recipe for a tomato pasta sauce with a bit more substance, and that substance is tofu. This sauce is very easy to make as I even cheated a bit and used a ready made tomato sauce this time instead of fresh tomatoes.

Ingredients

150g tofu
400g tomato sauce/pureed tomatoes
1 red pepper
1 red onion
1 garlic clove
Fresh chives
Fresh parsley
Ground black pepper
Salt
Vegetable oil
Oltermanni cheese (That's my favourite Finnish cheese that I used on that occasion, you can take your preferred pasta cheese)
Tagliatelle pasta (any other pasta will also do)

Method

Chop the onion and garlic finely. Also chop the pepper. Dice the tofu into very small dices and start the sauce by frying the tofu dices in a pan in vegetable oil. The tofu needs quite a while to fry with frequent stirring and turning. Once the tofu has reached a bouncy consistency and is golden brown, the chopped onion can be added to the pan.


Fry until the onion is glassy and then add the red pepper to the mix. Fry for further 10 minutes, then add the garlic and continue frying for a few minutes more. Finally pour the tomato sauce over the tofu and vegetables. Season the sauce with black pepper, salt, chives and parsley. Let it simmer for a few minutes and cook your pasta in the meanwhile.


Serve the pasta and sauce with some grated cheese and enjoy the pasta goodness!

Your VegHog


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.