3 March 2015

Roots & Rice

This recipe is by Nigel Slater and published in the Guardian. It's simple, vegan, light, cheap and perfect for a weekday. It contains root vegetables combined with rice and onions. I must admit that I never before reading this recipe thought of combining root vegetables with rice. Somehow it just didn't belong to my regular cooking ways, but I got curious once I saw this recipe and tried it out. I also haven't been cooking much rice at all lately, so even that makes a welcome change.

I think that this was a rather nice dish, even though I left the beetroot of the original recipe out, which makes my variation a bit paler, but it was still very tasty. Otherwise I followed the recipe pretty closely.

This dish works either as a stand-alone dish, or served on the side in fashion of a pilaf rice. I think just a fresh salad, pomegranate seeds and little halloumi would be great with this.

What do you think of this dish?



 

2 comments:

  1. this looks like a great winter warmer - not the sort of dish I usually use but I could imagine I would love it - with maybe some hearty stew on the side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what it is, and not one of my typical dishes either, but it was worth the try.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.