16 September 2016

Braised beans and tomatoes


My partner has been cooking this vegan dish for years now and I finally decided to steal the recipe from him. Luckily he didn't want to keep it a secret, so I can share it with you. His only condition was that I wouldn't call it a stew, fair enough, it's a dish with slow-cooked green beans in a tomato sauce. I made the addition of broad beans to the dish to add some additional greens. This is great use for the seasonal beans and tomatoes and a good dish for both summer and winter. I could only partly use homegrown tomatoes, as I didn't have enough ripe ones at hand. I served the bean dish with fondant potatoes and salad on the side. Here comes the recipe.

Ingredients

250 g green beans
450 g broad beans (weight with the pods)
1 onion
5 garlic cloves
1 small chilli
Olive oil
300 g tomatoes
Smoked paprika to taste
5 tbsp tomato purée


Method

Chop the onion, garlic and chilli finely.

Add a generous splash of olive oil into a pan and start cooking the onion there. Once the onion is soft, add the garlic and chilli.

Prep the beans and tomatoes. Cut the green beans into about 2 cm long pieces and chop the tomatoes finely.

Add the green beans into the pan, cook for a few minutes and add the tomatoes.

Let simmer under the lid for a couple of hours.

Remove the broad beans from their pods and add them to the mix after a while, maybe about one hour in. Then also add the tomato purée and smoked paprika.

Serve once the beans are cooked and all flavours have blended nicely.





I'm sharing this recipe with this month's Eat Your Greens where it's Shaheen's turn to host. Have a look on her blog Allotment 2 Kitchen and take part with your green vegetable recipes.


I also want to share this dish with My Legume Love Affair challenge hosted this month by Nupur from The Veggie Indian.


Have a good weekend!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. It looks lovely and quite delicious, I do like green beans. Your potatoes on the side look pretty good too, Thank you for sharing with #EatYourGreens cohost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaheen! It was quite a nice meal and glad to have something for Eat Your Greens.

      Delete
  2. YUM! I saw the photos on Instagram and automatically became hungry. Hahah

    GIVEAWAY: VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well that sounds good. I hope you had something nice to eat. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.