7 September 2016

Pea pie


I'm enjoying fresh garden peas one more time as a side to this dish. Probably there will be a few more times still this late summer, but not sure if they'll make it to the blog. This time I made potato mash covered pies from dried pea and broad bean crushes, which are basically just dried pulses crushed with a food processor. In Finland you can buy both products in that texture, which is very handy for different veggie burgers and sauces. They were really nice in a veggie style Shepherd's Pies like these as well. I'm quite thrilled that the proper pie season is here soon, as then I can fully enjoy savoury pies all the time! Here I presented the pie with a bit lighter sides of fresh peas and lettuce to make it a more suitable late summer dish.

Ingredients

1 kg new potatoes
50 g margarine
1 cup dried pea crush
1 cup dried broad bean crush
2 carrots
2 onions
4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vegetable stock extract
1 tbsp liquid smoke
Splash of dry cider
Sprinkle of salt
Sprinkle of ground black pepper


Method

Cook the potatoes and mash them with the added margarine, salt and some of the potato cooking water.

Cook the pea and broad bean crush as per the instructions on the packet.

Chop the carrots, onions and garlic finely and cook them in oil for a few minutes.

Add the cooked peas and beans into to the pan and season.

Place the pea mix into the bottom of one large oven dish or into several smaller ramekins and cover with the mash.

Bake at 180 C for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!


Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. Ah nice, I just wish I could see the green yummy filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know. I regretted not having taken a photo of the filling and just started eating.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.