8 December 2018

In My Kitchen in December

I'm starting to be ready for Christmas, even though a lot of food planning etc. still needs to be done. However I haven't done that much at home yet, we only put up the Christmas lights on the windows. Below you can see a couple of photos of our tradition of putting the lights up and then going to the yard and in the street to look at them while sipping mulled wine. It's a lovely yet low key tradition that we have kept on for many years in a few different homes. Other than that I've been enjoying our neighbours' festive lights and those in our local streets. It's so nice in this dark period.



I have a new cotton branch in my kitchen, which I think is a little bit Christmassy, as it's white and fluffy like snow. The photo was taken just now. It's darkish even at midday and I'll have to go out to the rain soon. I have a good incentive though, there is a Christmas street party in a small street nearby, so hopefully I'll get some mulled wine again.


I bought this Mikkeller beer gift pack for myself yesterday as a Friday treat, because I quite wanted that glass. I like their beer anyway and these small cans named after Danish phrases are very funny too. They are called “I don't have a red shrimp” (meaning: I'm broke), “Hair in the mailbox” (meaning: to have a tricky problem or to be about to be uncovered) and “Stick a finger in the soil” (meaning: think before you jump into conclusions). 


On that note I wanted to write about another Mikkeller beer that is all Christmassy red: Spontan Double Raspberry, a sour ale brewed with raspberries and aged in oak barrels. I just love these lambic style sour beers that are fruity and so tart. I think that this would be a fine Christmas drink even though it's not a Christmas beer as such.


I made garlic knots as a side to a pasta dish from some left-over pizza dough. They are so easy and quick to make, but with a little frying in butter, garlic and thyme they are just the perfect side to many dishes. A bit more refined version could even make it to the Christmas dinner.


I've lately often made a pasta dish with fried halloumi and roasted bell peppers, tomatoes and garlic. Pine nuts also go well here, but otherwise the dish can be left simple. It gives so much comfort and is one of my absolute favourites and often seen in my kitchen on weekdays. I just feel that the chewy halloumi gives a nice contrast to the soft pasta.



I also tried a new veggie product Oumph! from Sweden. I mean, it's a new product for me, but it has been around for a while, I just haven't got around tasting it. It's a frozen product made from soy beans, and there are currently eleven different variations, like salty & smoky, pulled Oumph! and tandoori bbq. I tried the kebab one and made nice little flatbreads with it. I think that it was a tasty product and had a good texture. I will definitely try some of the other ones too once I spot them in shops.



I'm sharing this post with Sherry from Sherry's Pickings blog, who is hosting the In My Kitchen blogging event.


Have a nice weekend and pre-Christmas time everyone!

Your VegHog

8 comments:

  1. Wow I love how you can sit and see your lights - it doesn't get dark til about 9pm so it is a bit of a long night to go and see lights anywhere - I saw some in my street last night only because my cat was out really late! Those beer names are great (I haven't got a red shrimp sounds similar to "I haven't got a brass razoo" which people say in Australia, though I think it is less common these days. And your meals look great - esp your garlic knots - what are they made of - bread dough? pastry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to look at the Christmas lights in this season and we get plenty of the darkness... "I haven't got a brass razoo" sounds very interesting as well, I've never heard it before. :) I make my garlic knots either from left-over pizza dough, like this time, or from some of my basic rolls doughs. So it's just a simple yeast dough.

      Delete
  2. hi veghog
    thanks for joining in IMK this month. hard to imagine how cold and dark it is where you are as i am sitting in shorts and a tee shirt with the air con on! love your garlic knots! so cute too. Halloumi is always a winner in anything - that gorgeous squeak between the teeth. have a wonderful xmas cheers sherry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too Sherry, even if you won't be spending it so traditionally! :) Today it was dark here almost all day, but I find it cosy. Enjoy the shorts weather though!

      Delete
  3. I still haven't tried the OMph product though having seen it on shelves at some supermarkets, I will give it a go. The garlic knots look tasty as do the squeaky halloumi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good if you can get Oumph as well. Do try it, it was quite nice and surely versatile to use.

      Delete
  4. I love the beer glasses with the phrases, ones I have never heard before. Your pasta dish sounds delicious. And I like Christmas lights as well, they are so cheery when it gets dark so early. One our favorite things used to be driving through the neighborhood to look at the decorated homes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Danish phrases were a hoot! Sometimes I think our elders had much more common sense than we do. :) I also loved your tradition of looking at your Christmas lights while sipping mulled wine. Heartwarming! Your halloumi dish looks fantastic, too. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.