23 March 2019

Pearled wheat risotto with portobello mushrooms


My weekend has started in a very relaxing manner after a really hectic week at work. I'm happy to just potter around at home this morning and read some lovely blogs. I'm baking carrot rolls at the same time, and later we will head for lunch at a nearby brewhouse. It will be a nice day I'm sure. How is your weekend going?

Now to this recipe. I like vegetarian risottos of all kinds, and am ready to eat one at almost anytime. I prefer to make my risottos these days with pearled spelt or barley rather than arborio rice, and now I made one with pearled wheat kernels. This was a really nice and quite basic portobello mushroom risotto. I added a little parsley oil on top for some additional flavour and colour. I also wanted to add the mushrooms pan-fried on top, but they can of course also be mixed in, if you prefer. Have a look at my recipe below.


Pearled wheat risotto with portobello mushrooms

Ingredients

1 l vegetable stock
1 large onion
2 carrots
2 garlic cloves
1+1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp butter
1,5 cups pearled wheat
1 cup dry white wine
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
Fresh parsley
4 portobello mushrooms

Method

Warm up the vegetable stock.

Chop the onion, carrots and garlic.

Heat oil in a separate pan, and start cooking the onion. Once the onion is softened, add the carrots and garlic and cook for a while.

Then add some butter to the pan, and stir in the pearled wheat.

Pour the white wine in and let it absorb.

Then make a vegetable stock addition, and keep adding it little by little while the risotto simmers.

Season the risotto with fresh parsley, salt and ground black pepper.

Slice the portobello mushrooms and fry them quickly in a hot frying pan. Then place them on top of the risotto and serve.



Have a great weekend!

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. I adore risotto too, especially mushroom risottos. I like that you have used pearl barley here instead of rice and portobellos are a lovely touch. I really must give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I see now that I look at the recipe more closely that you have used pearl wheat and not barley!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.