16 May 2020

Leek and Cheddar spaghetti


It’s a stormy and windy day here in Copenhagen, so it could mean a weekend spent mainly indoors. We do want to go for a little harbour stroll and to the supermarket today, but after that I will probably just cook for hours on end and we’ll have some cosy time inside. The lockdown rules have been relaxed here a bit more this week, so also shopping centres are now open. I might even return to the office next week. The feelings are mixed about that. On one hand I’m a bit sick of working from home, but on the other hand I will also need to take a train for 30 minutes to work, but we will see how that goes.

Now to the food. I often have a TV program running in the background when I’m cooking. I’m mainly listening to it and not always watching. One day I watched Jamie Oliver’s Meat-Free Meals programme while I was cooking, and got the inspiration for this leek and Cheddar spaghetti. Jamie made a Sweet Leek Carbonara, but I altered the recipe quite a bit. First of all, I haven’t been able to find a vegetarian parmesan equivalent here, so I used mature Cheddar. I didn’t use an egg either, I added a splash of white wine and wheat flour to thicken the sauce.

Leek and Cheddar spaghetti

Ingredients

2 leeks
1 onion
3 garlic
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp butter
Splash of white wine
1 tbsp wheat flour
150 g mature Cheddar
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
Spaghetti
Wild garlic

Method

Slice the leeks and chop the slices into even smaller pieces. Also chop the onion and garlic finely. Cook the onion first and once it’s soft, add the leeks and garlic to the mix. Gently simmer until the leeks are softened.

Add butter and mix in the wheat flour. Cook it for a little bit and then add the white wine. Then also add the grated Cheddar and let the mix combine.

Cook the spaghetti al dente.

Season the sauce to taste and mix it with the spaghetti before serving. Then enjoy!


Have a great weekend everyone!

Your VegHog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.