20 September 2015

Tomato and red lentil soup


A tomato and lentil soup is a cheap and easy, yet fine alternative for the autumn. It tastes equally nice in the evenings and as lunch and is incredibly filling. I love this type of food in the autumn and winter time.

Here is my basic recipe for a vegan tomato and red lentil soup.

Ingredients

1 onion
2 garlic cloves
400 g cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
½ cup red lentils
1 vegetable stock cube
2 tbsp tomato purée
Fresh basil
Salt
Ground black pepper
Chilli flakes

Method

Chop the onion and garlic finely, and also chop the tomatoes. Start cooking the onion and garlic in olive oil, and once they are soft, add the tomatoes. Simmer under lid by occasionally stirring.

Cook the lentils in water in a separate pan with an added vegetable stock cube until they are done. Add them to the tomatoes and season the soup with tomato purée, fresh basil, salt, ground black pepper and chilli flakes to taste.

Enjoy warm with a roll or a slice of bread.



Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. Lovely, I want to pick up that bread and dive in. PS you should share it with No Croutons Required Challenge this month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good idea, I've been lazy with the cooking challenges again. I should get cracking!

      Delete
  2. Made this for dinner last night- delicious! I also added some finely chopped silverbeet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I'm glad you liked it and your addition sounds nice!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.