4 September 2015

Roasted miniature new potato and leek bake flavoured with cider

I guess this is how most of my food photos are going to look now that the evenings are getting darker, the only time when I have time to cook on the weekdays. I do apologise for the darkness and hope to make some brighter looking photos on the weekends as well. I hope you'll like the food nevertheless.

I made this autumnal dish ultra savoury, just the way I like it. It's a bake made with roasted miniature new potatoes in a leek, cheese and cider sauce and here's the recipe.


Ingredients

500 g miniature new potatoes
1 tsp vegetable oil
½ tsp smoked paprika
3 baby carrots
3 leeks
3 garlic cloves
10 g butter
1 tsp vegetable stock powder
Salt
Ground black pepper
50 ml dry cider
100 g cheddar and red Leicester mix
Breadcrumbs
Sage
Thyme

Method

Wash the potatoes and roll them in vegetable oil and dust with smoked paprika, then roast them in the oven until done.

Chop the carrots and leeks into thin slices, also chop the garlic finely.

Start cooking the carrots, leeks and garlic in the butter. Cook them for a few minutes until slightly softened. Then add the vegetable stock powder, salt and ground black pepper and also pour the cider in. Let simmer slowly under the lid until all flavours have blended nicely.

Once the potatoes are cooked, mix them into the leeks. Then also add half of the grated cheese into the mix. Put it into an oven dish and cover with the rest of the cheese and the breadcrumbs, sage and thyme.

Bake in the oven until the cheese has nicely melted and golden brown. Enjoy!


Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. VegHog, the dark evenings get to us bloggers. I have a similar problem, so don't feel you have to apologise for your photos as we understand. As soon as we get in, I cook and try to get a picture taken, but I know the evenings will get darker. Anyway, this looks very autumnal and you say so too. I actually on first glance thought it was shallots, then realised it was new potatoes - comfort food all over - def. that time of year now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Shaheen for your encouraging words. I know that many others have the same problem with the escaping daylight. We'll just have to try to make the most of it. At least autumn dishes are tasty, so that can make up for the pictures. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.