24 September 2015

Pea and carrot pilaf


Time for a solid weekday cooking with ingredients I happened to had and had to cook in order not to waste them. Cooking is a creative process and I also hate to throw vegetables out, so I always try to utilise everything and make up dishes, if need be. It's a good thing to do especially before the weekend, as there will probably be some eating out or fancier dishes then. I had these great fresh garden peas in the pods and thought they would be a good ingredient for a vegan rice pilaf type of a dish. So then I created this pea and carrot pilaf.

I'm sharing this recipe with Shaheen's vegetarian cooking challenge Eat Your Greens for this month. She is a fellow vegetarian blogger and has a wonderful blog called A2K - A Seasonal Veg Table. Do check it out, if you don't know it yet! I realised that September is drawing to a close (!) and that I should quickly post a greenish dish to participate. So here's my pilaf recipe, have a look how I made it.  
 

Ingredients

1 cup fresh garden peas
1 romano pepper
2 carrots
1 onion
2 garlic cloves
200 g rice (mix of brown basmati, red camargue and wild rice)
2 tbsp vegetable stock powder
Ground cumin
Thyme
Salt
Ground black pepper


Method

Remove the peas from the pods.

Chop the romano pepper, carrots, onion and garlic finely and start cooking them in olive oil.

After a while, add the rice and peas followed by vegetable stock powder and water to cover it all.

Let simmer until the rice is done.

Season to taste and serve.

So easy and good, enjoy!


Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind words, and for you lovely green vegan pilaf. That is also shouting quietly autumn is here, eat me, I will warm you up, you won't be disappointed. Now please, give me a spoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure, your blog is great! This really is autumnal, can't wait to cook more in this style again.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.