28 April 2016

Udon noodles with tofu – Part 1


I'm going to post two vegan tofu udon noodle recipes on two consecutive days, as I think that these dishes are just perfect for weekday dinners. I often have them for dinner and always take them to work for lunch the next day and then they almost taste better. I'm really fond of this kind of stir frys and adore the contrast between the soft wide udon noodles with the firmly fried tofu. Also other noodle types can be used to this, but the wide udon is brilliant in my opinion. You can also use pretty much any vegetable combination, which can be a really good use for example for left-over vegetables. As soon as you have the basic sauces handy, you can make these sort of dishes in no time. In this recipe I used shiitake mushrooms and spinach as vegetables and green nori sprinkle as a special touch.

Ingredients

300 g tofu
Vegetable oil for frying
200 g udon noodles
150 g shiitake mushrooms
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
50 g spinach
Green nori sprinkle
Miso
Soy sauce
Toasted sesame oil
Mirin


Method

Start by preparing the tofu. Cut it into cubes, put a little vegetable oil into a hot pan and fry the tofu pieces until they are firm and golden brown. Set them to side.

Also cook the noodles, cool them and set to side.

Slice the shiitake mushrooms and onions and chop the garlic finely. Stir fry the shiitake mushrooms and set them to side.

Then also stir fry the onion slices until they are slightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for a while more.

Add the sauces and green nori sprinkle to taste. Then add the spinach, tofu and noodles into the pan. Stir for a while and serve.


Enjoy!

Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. this looks great - I have quite a few udon noodles and have been wondering what to do with them - love this - will look forward to part 2 (and I love the hedgehog backdrop)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part two is a very similar bowl, just with different veggies and different spicing. I'm sure that you would enjoy this kind of dishes as well. Udon noodles are really great.

      Delete
    2. I was inspired to use my udon noodles tonight in a thai stirfry but I didn't have any tofu and was very disappointed - had forgotten I had eaten it but thanks for the inspiration with the udon that needed to be used (tofu goes quickly in our house)

      Delete
    3. I'm glad to have inspired, but it was really a shame with the tofu. With tofu it's always so good! But we also tend to eat our tofu quite quickly.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.