13 July 2016

Harlequin squash tarts


After a long while I got my paws on a harlequin squash again. I was quite happy about it, as we’ve had a bit of a squash variety shortage in our shops ever since last summer throughout the autumn and winter. It seemed that only butternut squash was ever available, maybe coquina, if we were lucky. So now I was very excited to cook this harlequin squash and ended up making two dishes from it. The first half I used for these summery tarts and the other half for a small vegan squash and red lentil soup. As I pre-roasted the squash for the tarts, it got slightly smoky although it’s quite sweet otherwise. I also added some warming cumin seeds with squash, as I really like the combination.


These are very simple and quick tarts to make, but so nice to enjoy on a summer’s evening. Have a look at my recipe for two harlequin squash tarts below. I think these would also be nice as smaller tartlets to be enjoyed at parties.

Ingredients

½ harlequin squash or 1 small one
1 red onion
1 garlic clove
Olive oil
150 g grated cheddar and mozzarella
Sprinkle of salt
Sprinkle of ground black pepper
Sprinkle of cumin seeds
320g puff pastry

Method

Cut the harlequin squash into thin wedges, brush with olive oil and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes until they are not fully softened yet, but have some roasting marks. Set them to side.

Cut the onion into thin half rings and chop the garlic finely. Cook them in olive oil in a pan for a few minutes.

Prepare the puff pastry by rolling it out and cutting it into two rectangles. Score the edges with a pastry cutter, but don’t cut the pastry fully through. Don’t put any filling over the edges, then they will rise nicely shaping beautiful edges for the tarts.

Place the onions and garlic onto the pastry followed by the cheese and harlequin squash wedges. Season with salt, pepper and cumin seeds.

Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until golden brown.

Enjoy!



Your VegHog

4 comments:

  1. that looks delicious - I don't cook with these fancy squashes enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also need to track them down more often, they are delicious!

      Delete
  2. I think I know which shop you've got the harlequin, I got it too, and I simply roasted mine inspired from your recipe from few years ago. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice recipe as well, they are pretty good roasted.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.