23 July 2016

Vegetable jambalaya


Finally it's the weekend and it's sunny and warm over here! I'm so happy about it, and even happier to be able to share another tomato recipe with you. This time I made a smoky vegetable jambalaya full of good vegetables and luscious local tomatoes. This is summer food at its best!

Ingredients

1 red onion
3 garlic cloves
1 red chilli
2 romano peppers
Olive oil
300 g cherry vine tomatoes
300 g paella rice
Sprinkle of smoked paprika
½ tsp liquid smoke
1 l vegetable stock
200 g sugar snap peas
140 g sweetcorn
Fresh pea shoots for serving



Method

Chop the onion, garlic, chilli and romano peppers and start cooking them in olive oil. Cook on the hob for a few minutes, then add the halved cherry vine tomatoes and put to the oven to roast. I roasted at about 150 C first under a lid in order to get the liquids out. Stir occasionally and roast until the tomatoes are soft. Remember that not everything needs to be fully cooked, as the jambalaya will be returned to the oven later.

Mix the paella rice in and season with smoked paprika and liquid smoke. Also add the half of the vegetable stock and return to the oven to simmer under lid. Keep an eye on it and stir occasionally and keep adding more stock when needed.

Add the sugar snap peas and sweetcorn when the rice is nearly done. Cook everything together until you are happy with the flavours. Keep adding seasoning, if needed.

Serve with fresh pea shoots and enjoy!




Due to the green components in this dish I want to share this recipe with Eat Your Greens that Shaheen is hosting this month. Obviously this is also another post to my Tomato Festival.




Have a wonderful weekend!

Your VegHog

2 comments:

  1. Thank you VegHog, I am writing the round up tonight and will post tomorrow. I love Jambalaya and often make it with okra, but do like your change with sugar snap peas and I do like smoked liquid. I have used that brand before, but I never use the same twice, only because I can never find it again. And yes, luscious local tomatoes are the best - full of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting again! I really liked the smokiness here and ever since I bought that bottle, have been adding it here and there.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions from you.